Gunnett History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Gunnett family
The surname Gunnett was first found in Normandy where "Gunwell, Gonville or Conteville, descended from Herluin, Lord of Conteville by his first marriage, the issue of which, Ralph de Conteville is stated by Orderic Vitalis to have had grants from the Conqueror in England. Accordingly in 1083 he appears holding lands in Somerset, his barony being held in Gloucester, and being held 1086 by his son Fitz-Ralph."  
Important Dates for the Gunnett family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gunnett research. Another 73 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1165, 1172 and 1327 are included under the topic Early Gunnett History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gunnett Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gunnels, Gunnells, Gunnild, Gunild, Gunilt, Gunnild, Gunnilt, Gunnett, Gunnet, Gonnel and many more.
Early Notables of the Gunnett family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Gunnett Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Gunnett family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: the name represented in many forms and recorded from the mid 17th century in the great migration from Europe. Migrants settled in the eastern seaboard from Newfoundland, to Maine, to Virginia, the Carolinas, and to the islands..
Contemporary Notables of the name Gunnett (post 1700)
- Olen Gunnett (1876-1956), American politician, Mayor of Frostburg, Maryland, 1939-42 
- J. M. Gunnett, American politician, Member of Nebraska State House of Representatives, 1891 
- ^ The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X)
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, February 1) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html