on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Griswold family come from? What is the English Griswold family crest and coat of arms? When did the Griswold family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Griswold family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Griswold, Griswood, Griswald, Griswoll, Griswall, Grisweld, Greswold, Greswald, Griswould and many more.
First found in Warwickshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1381 when Roger Grysewold held estates in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Griswold research. Another 339 words(24 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600, 1100, 1167, 1195, 1563, 1455, 1487 and 1535 are included under the topic Early Griswold History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Griswold Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Griswold Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Francis Griswold, who was on record in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1637
- Francis Griswold, who landed in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1637
- Matthew Griswold, who came to Connecticut in 1639
- Edward Griswold, who came to Connecticut in 1639
- Edward Griswold, who landed in Connecticut in 1639
Griswold Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Joseph Griswold, an English convict sent to America in 1744
Griswold Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Thomas Griswold, aged 43, arrived in New York in 1812
- Ann Griswold, who arrived in New York, NY in 1821
- G G Griswold, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- J W Griswold, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- F L Griswold, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
Griswold Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Seth Griswold U.E. who settled in Queensbury, York County, New Brunswick c. 1784
- Matthew Griswold (1714-1799), American Governor of Connecticut, born in Lyme, Connecticut
- Alexander Viets Griswold (1766-1843), American Bishop of the Eastern Diocese
- Erwin Nathaniel Griswold, prominent American lawyer, served as Solicitor General of the United States (1967-1973)
- Lieutenant-General Francis Hopkins Griswold (1904-1989), American Commandant of the National War College, D.C (1961)
- Lieutenant-General Oscar Woolverton Griswold (1886-1959), American Commanding General 3rd Army (1947)
- William G Griswold, member of the Department of Computer Science & Engineering at the University of California, San Diego
- Miss Mildred Griswold (1911-1917), Canadian resident from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada who died in the Halifax Explosion on 6th December 1917
- Mrs. May Griswold (1890-1917), Canadian resident from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada who died in the Halifax Explosion on 6th December 1917
- Mr. Alfred Griswold (1889-1917), Canadian resident from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada who died in the Halifax Explosion on 6th December 1917
- Mr. Fred Griswold (1887-1917), Canadian resident from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada who died in the Halifax Explosion on 6th December 1917
- The Griswold Family, England-America: Edward of Windsor, Connecticut, Matthew of Lyme, Connecticut, Michael of Wethersfield, Connecticut by Glenn E. Griswold.
- The Griswold Family: The First Five Generations in America by Esther Griswold French.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
The Griswold Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Griswold Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 April 2015 at 09:04.
on orders of $85 or more