100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Griswold was first found in Warwickshire
where they held a family seat
as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1381 when Roger Grysewold held estates in that shire.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Griswold, Griswood, Griswald, Griswoll, Griswall, Grisweld, Greswold, Greswald, Griswould and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Griswold research. Another 339 words (24 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600, 1100, 1167, 1195, 1563, 1455, 1487 and 1535 are included under the topic Early Griswold History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Griswold Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Griswold Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Francis Griswold, who was on record in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1637
- Francis Griswold, who landed in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1637
- Matthew Griswold, who came to Connecticut in 1639
- Edward Griswold, who came to Connecticut in 1639
- Edward Griswold, who landed in Connecticut in 1639
Griswold Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Joseph Griswold, an English convict sent to America in 1744
Griswold Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Thomas Griswold, aged 43, arrived in New York in 1812
- Ann Griswold, who arrived in New York, NY in 1821
- G G Griswold, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- J W Griswold, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- F L Griswold, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
Griswold Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Seth Griswold U.E. who settled in Queensbury, York County, New Brunswick c. 1784
- Jared Griswold (d. 1835), American politician, Mayor of Hartford, Connecticut, 1835
- Harry Wilbur Griswold (1886-1939), American Republican politician, Member of Wisconsin State Senate 32nd District, 1933-36; Defeated, 1936; U.S. Representative from Wisconsin 3rd District, 1939
- Lieutenant-General Oscar Woolverton Griswold (1886-1959), American Commanding General 3rd Army (1947)
- Lieutenant-General Francis Hopkins Griswold (1904-1989), American Commandant of the National War College, D.C (1961)
- Charles Griswold, American politician, U.S. Consul in Manila, 1856-67
- Byron H. Griswold, American Democrat politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Glastonbury; Elected 1916
- Ashbel Griswold (1784-1853), American politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Meriden, 1820, 1826, 1828, 1831; Member of Connecticut State Senate 6th District, 1833
- Arthur H. Griswold, American Republican politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Wethersfield; Elected 1904
- Alexander H. Griswold, American politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Granby, 1831-32
- Albert Clinton Griswold (1884-1954), American Republican politician, Life insurance agent; Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Wethersfield; Elected 1920
- The Griswold Family, England-America: Edward of Windsor, Connecticut, Matthew of Lyme, Connecticut, Michael of Wethersfield, Connecticut by Glenn E. Griswold.
- The Griswold Family: The First Five Generations in America by Esther Griswold French.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
The Griswold Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Griswold Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 April 2016 at 02:48.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!