on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Grigsby family come from? What is the English Grigsby family crest and coat of arms? When did the Grigsby family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Grigsby family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Grigsby, Grigby, Grigsbie and others.
First found in Lincolnshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 12th century when William Grig held estates in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Grigsby research. Another 145 words(10 lines of text) covering the years 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Grigsby History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Grigsby Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Grigsby Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- E Grigsby, who arrived in Texas in 1835
- Enoch Grigsby, who landed in Texas in 1835
- Emily Grigsby, aged 18, who settled in America, in 1896
Grigsby Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Carrie A. Grigsby, aged 40, who emigrated to America, in 1908
- Emilie Grigsby, aged 32, who landed in America, in 1908
- Iza A. Grigsby, aged 43, who emigrated to the United States, in 1910
- Bertram Jas Grigsby, aged 32, who landed in America, in 1916
- Francis Herbert Grigsby, aged 31, who landed in America from Mickleham, England, in 1918
Grigsby Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Thomas Grigsby, aged 36, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1849 aboard the ship "Ascendant"
- Thomas Grigsby arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Ascendant" in 1849
Grigsby Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Henry Grigsby, aged 39, a labourer, arrived in Hawkes Bay aboard the ship "Countess of Kintore" in 1875
- Charlotte Grigsby, aged 35, arrived in Hawkes Bay aboard the ship "Countess of Kintore" in 1875
- James Grigsby, aged 10, arrived in Hawkes Bay aboard the ship "Countess of Kintore" in 1875
- William Grigsby, aged 7, arrived in Hawkes Bay aboard the ship "Countess of Kintore" in 1875
- Charlotte Grigsby, aged 4, arrived in Hawkes Bay aboard the ship "Countess of Kintore" in 1875
- Hugh Blair Grigsby (1806-1881), American historical scholar
- James Harvey "Boomer" Grigsby (b. 1981), American football linebacker
- Tamara D. Grigsby (b. 1974), American Democratic Party member of the Wisconsin State Assembly
- John Grigsby (b. 1971), English author of books on myth and the Grail legends and the Old English poem "Beowulf"
- Grigsby X Leonard: Bicentennial 1776-1976 Genealogy: Paternal Great Grand Fathers of Carroll Mendenhall Leonard by Carroll Mendenhall Leonard.
- Memorabilia, the Grigsby Family Reunion Book, 1779-1979 by Elizabeth M. Nicholson.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
The Grigsby Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Grigsby Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 December 2014 at 20:41.
on orders of $85 or more