on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Grigsby family come from? What is the English Grigsby family crest and coat of arms? When did the Grigsby family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Grigsby family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Grigsby, Grigby, Grigsbie and others.
First found in Lincolnshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 12th century when William Grig held estates in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Grigsby research. Another 145 words(10 lines of text) covering the years 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Grigsby History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Grigsby Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Grigsby Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- E Grigsby, who arrived in Texas in 1835
- Enoch Grigsby, who landed in Texas in 1835
- Emily Grigsby, aged 18, who settled in America, in 1896
Grigsby Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Carrie A. Grigsby, aged 40, who emigrated to America, in 1908
- Emilie Grigsby, aged 32, who landed in America, in 1908
- Iza A. Grigsby, aged 43, who emigrated to the United States, in 1910
- Bertram Jas Grigsby, aged 32, who landed in America, in 1916
- Francis Herbert Grigsby, aged 31, who landed in America from Mickleham, England, in 1918
Grigsby Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Thomas Grigsby, aged 36, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1849 aboard the ship "Ascendant"
- Thomas Grigsby arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Ascendant" in 1849
Grigsby Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Henry Grigsby, aged 39, a labourer, arrived in Hawkes Bay aboard the ship "Countess of Kintore" in 1875
- Charlotte Grigsby, aged 35, arrived in Hawkes Bay aboard the ship "Countess of Kintore" in 1875
- James Grigsby, aged 10, arrived in Hawkes Bay aboard the ship "Countess of Kintore" in 1875
- William Grigsby, aged 7, arrived in Hawkes Bay aboard the ship "Countess of Kintore" in 1875
- Charlotte Grigsby, aged 4, arrived in Hawkes Bay aboard the ship "Countess of Kintore" in 1875
- Hugh Blair Grigsby (1806-1881), American historical scholar
- James Harvey "Boomer" Grigsby (b. 1981), American football linebacker
- Tamara D. Grigsby (b. 1974), American Democratic Party member of the Wisconsin State Assembly
- John Grigsby (b. 1971), English author of books on myth and the Grail legends and the Old English poem "Beowulf"
- Grigsby X Leonard: Bicentennial 1776-1976 Genealogy: Paternal Great Grand Fathers of Carroll Mendenhall Leonard by Carroll Mendenhall Leonard.
- Memorabilia, the Grigsby Family Reunion Book, 1779-1979 by Elizabeth M. Nicholson.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
The Grigsby Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Grigsby Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 December 2014 at 20:41.
on orders of $85 or more