Goy History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished surname Goy is one of the many names that was brought to France in the wake of the Norman Conquest of 1066. The name is derived from "Gouy," the name of a village located on the Seine River in Upper Normandy, and was most likely first borne in England by Norman settlers who hailed from this region.
Early Origins of the Goy family
The surname Goy was first found in the South of England, where the family was granted lands for having served William the Conqueror at the Battle of Hastings. The earliest known bearer of the name was Robert le Goiz, who was listed in the Curia Regis Rolls in 1201.
Important Dates for the Goy family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Goy research. Another 116 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1201, 1221, 1249, and 1327 are included under the topic Early Goy History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Goy Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Goy, Goys, Goyse,Goyler and others.
Early Notables of the Goy family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Goy Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Goy migration to Canada
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Goy Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Hryhor Goy, who arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1898
Contemporary Notables of the name Goy (post 1700)
- Peter John Goy (b. 1938), former English professional footballer
- Mr. David Alan Goy B.E.M.,, British recipient of Medallist of the British Empire Medal 29th December 2018 for political service 
- Malcolm Goy, British photographer
- Dr. Edward Dennis Goy (1926-2000), well-known and somewhat controversial literary critic and translator
- Luba Goy (b. 1945), Belgian-Canadian actress and comedian, and one of the stars of "Royal Canadian Air Farce"
- Philippe Goy (b. 1941), French science fiction writer
- ^ "Birthday and New Year Honours Lists (1940 to 2019)." Issue 62507, 28 December 2018 | London Gazette, The Gazette, Dec. 2018, www.thegazette.co.uk/honours-lists