Gossett History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Gossett family
The surname Gossett was first found in Cambridgeshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1279 when Robert and Isabella held estates in that shire.
Early History of the Gossett family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gossett research. Another 93 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Gossett History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gossett Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gossett, Gosset, Josset, Jossett, Gazzard and many more.
Early Notables of the Gossett family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Gossett Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Gossett is the 2,877th most popular surname with an estimated 9,948 people with that name. 
Gossett migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gossett Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Peter Gossett, his wife Catherine Du Four, and their four children, who arrived in Pennsylvania between the years 1650-1765
Gossett Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Andrew E. Gossett, was on record in Texas in 1833
Gossett migration to New Zealand +
Emigration to New Zealand followed in the footsteps of the European explorers, such as Captain Cook (1769-70): first came sealers, whalers, missionaries, and traders. By 1838, the British New Zealand Company had begun buying land from the Maori tribes, and selling it to settlers, and, after the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840, many British families set out on the arduous six month journey from Britain to Aotearoa to start a new life. Early immigrants include:
Gossett Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- H. M. Gossett, who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Countess of Kintore" in 1871
- Mr. Gossett, British settler travelling from London aboard the ship "Haddon Hall" arriving in Port Chalmers, Otago, New Zealand on 17th September 1874 
Contemporary Notables of the name Gossett (post 1700) +
- William Thomas Gossett (1904-1998), American lawyer, who was president of American Bar Association 1968-1969
- Robert Gossett (b. 1954), American television, theater, and film actor
- Louis Cameron Gossett Jr. (b. 1936), Academy Award winning American actor
- Tim Gossett, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Tennessee, 2008 
- Henry Gossett, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Texas, 1972 
- Ed Lee Gossett (1902-1990), American Democratic Party politician, U.S. Representative from Texas 13th District, 1939-51 
- Dave W. Gossett, American Democratic Party politician, Presidential Elector for Washington, 2012 
- Charles Clinton Gossett (1888-1974), American Democratic Party politician, Member of Idaho State House of Representatives, 1933-36; Lieutenant Governor of Idaho, 1937-39, 1941-43; Governor of Idaho, 1945 
- B. B. Gossett, American Democratic Party politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from South Carolina, 1912 
- Albert Gossett, American Democratic Party politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Georgia, 1944 
- ... (Another 3 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
Suggested Readings for the name Gossett +
- Chronicles of the Gossett Family by Grace M. Jerkins.
- The Family of Gossett by Evangeline Gossett Newcomer.