Gortz History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Gortz surname is habitational name, derived from any of various places so named in eastern and northern Germany.
Early Origins of the Gortz family
The surname Gortz was first found in the Fulda region, where this family name was associated with an ancient family of Knights in the 9th century, who possessed the estate Schlitz.
Early History of the Gortz family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gortz research. Another 165 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1630, 1668, 1719, and 1726 are included under the topic Early Gortz History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gortz Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gortz, Goerts, Goertze, Gortze and others.
Early Notables of the Gortz family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Gortz Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gortz migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gortz Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johann Sebastian Gortz, who came Philadelphia in 1794
Gortz Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Heinrick Gortz, who settled in Philadelphia in 1848
- Herm Gortz, who landed in America in 1849 
- Elisabeth Gortz, aged 39, who landed in New York, NY in 1875 
- Florentina Gortz, aged 9, who arrived in New York, NY in 1875 
Contemporary Notables of the name Gortz (post 1700) +
- Hermann Görtz (1890-1947), German spy in Britain and Ireland during World War II
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)