Gordy History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Gordy family
The surname Gordy was first found in Gloucestershire where the family name was first referenced in the year 1221 when Reginald Gaudi held estates in that shire. However, some of the family held estates at Wallington in Norfolk at early times. "Wallington Hall, formerly the seat of the Coningsbys and the Gawdys, is a handsome mansion, situated in a well-wooded park, in which are the tower and spire of the ancient church, now a ruin." 
Important Dates for the Gordy family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gordy research. Another 170 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1297, 1430, 1578, 1597, 1603, 1613, 1639, 1629, 1455, 1487, 1627, 1589, 1654, 1640, 1648, 1612, 1669, 1661 and 1669 are included under the topic Early Gordy History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gordy Spelling Variations
The first dictionaries that appeared in the last few hundred years did much to standardize the English language. Before that time, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. The language was changing, incorporating pieces of other languages, and the spelling of names changed with it. Gordy has been spelled many different ways, including Gawdy, Gawdey, Gaudy, Gawdie, Gaudie, Gaudey, Gordy and many more.
Early Notables of the Gordy family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include Sir Thomas Gawdy of Gawdy Hall; Sir Bassingbourne Gawdy of West Harling, Norfolk, High Sheriff of Norfolk in 1627; Framlingham Gawdy (1589-1654), an English politician who...
Another 31 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gordy Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Gordy family
Thousands of English families in this era began to emigrate the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. Although the passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe, those who made the voyage safely were rewarded with opportunities unavailable to them in their homeland. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first Gordys to arrive in North America: settlers, who arrived along the eastern seaboard, from Newfoundland, to Maine, to Virginia, the Carolinas, and to the islands.
Contemporary Notables of the name Gordy (post 1700)
- Denise Gordy (b. 1949), American film and television actress
- Josh Gordy (b. 1987), American football cornerback
- Kerry Ashby Gordy (b. 1959), American career music executive
- Terry Ray Gordy Jr. (b. 1979), American professional wrestler
- Terry Ray 'Bam Bam' Gordy Sr. (1961-2001), American professional wrestler
- Emory Gordy Jr. (b. 1944), American musician and music producer
- John Gordy (1935-2009), American NFL football offensive guard
- Berry Gordy Jr (b. 1929), American record producer, founder of the Motown record label
- Berry "Pops" Gordy Sr., African-American father of the Gordys, a family of music industry executives
- Miss Sarah Margaret Gordy M.B.E., (b. 1976), born in London, British Actress best known for her role in Strike: The silkworm and Upstairs and Downstairs TV Show, was appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire on 8th June 2018, for services to the Arts and People with Disabilities 
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ "Birthday and New Year Honours Lists (1940 to 2019)." Issue 62310, 4 July 2019 | London Gazette, The Gazette, June 2018, https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/62310/supplement/B1