Gordy History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Gordy family
The surname Gordy was first found in Gloucestershire where the family name was first referenced in the year 1221 when Reginald Gaudi held estates in that shire. However, some of the family held estates at Wallington in Norfolk at early times. "Wallington Hall, formerly the seat of the Coningsbys and the Gawdys, is a handsome mansion, situated in a well-wooded park, in which are the tower and spire of the ancient church, now a ruin." 
Early History of the Gordy family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gordy research. Another 170 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1297, 1430, 1578, 1597, 1603, 1613, 1639, 1629, 1455, 1487, 1627, 1589, 1654, 1640, 1648, 1612, 1669, 1661, 1669, 1606, 1639, 1699, 1639 and 1666 are included under the topic Early Gordy History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gordy Spelling Variations
The first dictionaries that appeared in the last few hundred years did much to standardize the English language. Before that time, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. The language was changing, incorporating pieces of other languages, and the spelling of names changed with it. Gordy has been spelled many different ways, including Gawdy, Gawdey, Gaudy, Gawdie, Gaudie, Gaudey, Gordy and many more.
Early Notables of the Gordy family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include Sir Thomas Gawdy of Gawdy Hall; Sir Bassingbourne Gawdy of West Harling, Norfolk, High Sheriff of Norfolk in 1627; Framlingham Gawdy (1589-1654), an English politician who sat in the House of Commons from 1640 to 1648; and Sir William Gawdy, 1st Baronet (1612-1669), an English politician who sat in the House of Commons from 1661 to...
Another 61 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gordy Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Gordy is the 7,610th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Migration of the Gordy family
Thousands of English families in this era began to emigrate the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. Although the passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe, those who made the voyage safely were rewarded with opportunities unavailable to them in their homeland. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first Gordys to arrive in North America: settlers, who arrived along the eastern seaboard, from Newfoundland, to Maine, to Virginia, the Carolinas, and to the islands.
|Contemporary Notables of the name Gordy (post 1700) ||+|
- Robert Louis Gordy (1931-2022), American songwriter, music publishing executive and a recording artist who used the stage name Bob Kayli
- Berry "Pops" Gordy Sr., American father of the Gordys, a family of music industry executives
- Denise Gordy (b. 1949), American film and television actress
- Josh Gordy (b. 1987), American football cornerback
- Kerry Ashby Gordy (b. 1959), American career music executive
- Terry Ray Gordy Jr. (b. 1979), American professional wrestler
- Terry Ray 'Bam Bam' Gordy Sr. (1961-2001), American professional wrestler
- Emory Gordy Jr. (b. 1944), American musician and music producer
- John Gordy (1935-2009), American NFL football offensive guard
- Berry Gordy Jr (b. 1929), American record producer, founder of the Motown record label
- ... (Another 1 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
- Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- "What are the 5,000 Most Common Last Names in the U.S.?". NameCensus.com, https://namecensus.com/last-names/