on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Goodloe family come from? What is the English Goodloe family crest and coat of arms? When did the Goodloe family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Goodloe family history?The Goodloe name comes from the Middle English words "gode," meaning "good," and "ladde," or "lad," meaning "a servant;" as such, it was likely originally a nickname for a trusted servant, which was later taken on as a surname.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Goodlet, Goddlett, Goodley, Goodly, Goodlad, Goodlat, Goodlatt, Goodlatte, Goodlegh, Gudlad, Goodleigh, Goodlaw, Guidlaw, Guidlad and many more.
First found in Yorkshire where in 1301 the Subsidy Rolls of Yorkshire list Robert Godelad as holding lands at that time. Years later, William Goodlad was listed in the Subsidy Rolls of Cumberland in 1332. William Goodland was listed in Yorkshire in 1464. 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Goodloe research. Another 403 words (29 lines of text) covering the years 1491, 1645, 1510, 1600, 1437, 1576, 1639 and 1620 are included under the topic Early Goodloe History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 53 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Goodloe Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Goodloe Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- George Goodloe, who landed in Virginia in 1666
Goodloe Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Hart Goodloe, aged 28, who arrived in America, in 1903
- Henriette Goodloe, aged 22, who arrived in America, in 1903
- Mrs. Paul T. Goodloe, aged 44, who arrived in America from London, in 1903
- Ethel M. Goodloe, aged 60, who arrived in America, in 1905
- Green Clay Goodloe, aged 22, who arrived in America, in 1905
- John Mills Goodloe (1858-1942), American Republican politician, Member of the Virginia Senate (1916-1920)
- William Cassius Goodloe III (1919-1997), American jurist, Chief Justice of the Washington Supreme Court from 1985 to 1988
- Hart Goodloe (1875-1954), American surgeon in the First World War, inspiration for the 2007 novel "Goodloe-Blood Stains the Fury of the Coming Storm" by Patrick Bauer
- J. Mills Goodloe (b. 1971), American film producer, screenwriter, director and actor
- Rev. Don Speed Smith Goodloe (1878-1959), African American teacher who pioneered racial integration in the Unitarian church, the first Principal of the Maryland Normal and Industrial School at Bowie for the Training of Colored Youth (Bowie State University)
- Paul Goodloe, American television meteorologist for The Weather Channel (TWC)
- ^ Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
The Goodloe Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Goodloe Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 3 November 2015 at 06:58.
on orders of $85 or more