on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Goodloe family come from? What is the English Goodloe family crest and coat of arms? When did the Goodloe family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Goodloe family history?The Goodloe name comes from the Middle English words "gode," meaning "good," and "ladde," or "lad," meaning "a servant;" as such, it was likely originally a nickname for a trusted servant, which was later taken on as a surname.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Goodlet, Goddlett, Goodley, Goodly, Goodlad, Goodlat, Goodlatt, Goodlatte, Goodlegh, Gudlad, Goodleigh, Goodlaw, Guidlaw, Guidlad and many more.
First found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1301 when Robert Godelad was recorded with estates in that shire. By 1332 the family name had moved north into Cumberland where William Goodlad held lands.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Goodloe research. Another 387 words(28 lines of text) covering the years 1437, 1491, 1510, 1600, and 1645 are included under the topic Early Goodloe History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Goodloe Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Goodloe Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- George Goodloe, who landed in Virginia in 1666
Goodloe Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Hart Goodloe, aged 28, who arrived in America, in 1903
- Henriette Goodloe, aged 22, who arrived in America, in 1903
- Mrs. Paul T. Goodloe, aged 44, who arrived in America from London, in 1903
- Ethel M. Goodloe, aged 60, who arrived in America, in 1905
- Green Clay Goodloe, aged 22, who arrived in America, in 1905
- Paul Goodloe, American television meteorologist for The Weather Channel (TWC)
- Rev. Don Speed Smith Goodloe (1878-1959), African American teacher who pioneered racial integration in the Unitarian church, the first Principal of the Maryland Normal and Industrial School at Bowie for the Training of Colored Youth (Bowie State University)
- J. Mills Goodloe (b. 1971), American film producer, screenwriter, director and actor
- Hart Goodloe (1875-1954), American surgeon in the First World War, inspiration for the 2007 novel "Goodloe-Blood Stains the Fury of the Coming Storm" by Patrick Bauer
- William Cassius Goodloe III (1919-1997), American jurist, Chief Justice of the Washington Supreme Court from 1985 to 1988
- John Mills Goodloe (1858-1942), American Republican politician, Member of the Virginia Senate (1916-1920)
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
The Goodloe Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Goodloe Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 16 June 2014 at 08:59.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
on orders of $85 or more