100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Goodloe family come from? What is the English Goodloe family crest and coat of arms? When did the Goodloe family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Goodloe family history?The Goodloe name comes from the Middle English words "gode," meaning "good," and "ladde," or "lad," meaning "a servant;" as such, it was likely originally a nickname for a trusted servant, which was later taken on as a surname.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Goodlet, Goddlett, Goodley, Goodly, Goodlad, Goodlat, Goodlatt, Goodlatte, Goodlegh, Gudlad, Goodleigh, Goodlaw, Guidlaw, Guidlad and many more.
First found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1301 when Robert Godelad was recorded with estates in that shire. By 1332 the family name had moved north into Cumberland where William Goodlad held lands.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Goodloe research. Another 387 words (28 lines of text) covering the years 1437, 1491, 1510, 1600, and 1645 are included under the topic Early Goodloe History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Goodloe Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Goodloe Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- George Goodloe, who landed in Virginia in 1666
Goodloe Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Hart Goodloe, aged 28, who arrived in America, in 1903
- Henriette Goodloe, aged 22, who arrived in America, in 1903
- Mrs. Paul T. Goodloe, aged 44, who arrived in America from London, in 1903
- Ethel M. Goodloe, aged 60, who arrived in America, in 1905
- Green Clay Goodloe, aged 22, who arrived in America, in 1905
- John Mills Goodloe (1858-1942), American Republican politician, Member of the Virginia Senate (1916-1920)
- William Cassius Goodloe III (1919-1997), American jurist, Chief Justice of the Washington Supreme Court from 1985 to 1988
- Hart Goodloe (1875-1954), American surgeon in the First World War, inspiration for the 2007 novel "Goodloe-Blood Stains the Fury of the Coming Storm" by Patrick Bauer
- J. Mills Goodloe (b. 1971), American film producer, screenwriter, director and actor
- Rev. Don Speed Smith Goodloe (1878-1959), African American teacher who pioneered racial integration in the Unitarian church, the first Principal of the Maryland Normal and Industrial School at Bowie for the Training of Colored Youth (Bowie State University)
- Paul Goodloe, American television meteorologist for The Weather Channel (TWC)
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
The Goodloe Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Goodloe Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 May 2015 at 14:18.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!