on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The Goodloe name comes from the Middle English words "gode," meaning "good," and "ladde," or "lad," meaning "a servant;" as such, it was likely originally a nickname
for a trusted servant, which was later taken on as a surname.
The surname Goodloe was first found in Yorkshire
where in 1301 the Subsidy Rolls
list Robert Godelad as holding lands at that time. Years later, William Goodlad was listed in the Subsidy Rolls
in 1332. William Goodland was listed in Yorkshire
in 1464. 
Spelling variations of this family name include: Goodlet, Goddlett, Goodley, Goodly, Goodlad, Goodlat, Goodlatt, Goodlatte, Goodlegh, Gudlad, Goodleigh, Goodlaw, Guidlaw, Guidlad and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Goodloe research. Another 403 words (29 lines of text) covering the years 1491, 1645, 1510, 1600, 1437, 1576, 1639 and 1620 are included under the topic Early Goodloe History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 53 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Goodloe Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Goodloe Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- George Goodloe, who landed in Virginia in 1666
Goodloe Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Hart Goodloe, aged 28, who arrived in America, in 1903
- Henriette Goodloe, aged 22, who arrived in America, in 1903
- Mrs. Paul T. Goodloe, aged 44, who arrived in America from London, in 1903
- Ethel M. Goodloe, aged 60, who arrived in America, in 1905
- Green Clay Goodloe, aged 22, who arrived in America, in 1905
- John Mills Goodloe (1858-1942), American Republican politician, Member of the Virginia Senate (1916-1920)
- William Cassius Goodloe III (1919-1997), American jurist, Chief Justice of the Washington Supreme Court from 1985 to 1988
- Hart Goodloe (1875-1954), American surgeon in the First World War, inspiration for the 2007 novel "Goodloe-Blood Stains the Fury of the Coming Storm" by Patrick Bauer
- J. Mills Goodloe (b. 1971), American film producer, screenwriter, director and actor
- Rev. Don Speed Smith Goodloe (1878-1959), African American teacher who pioneered racial integration in the Unitarian church, the first Principal of the Maryland Normal and Industrial School at Bowie for the Training of Colored Youth (Bowie State University)
- Paul Goodloe, American television meteorologist for The Weather Channel (TWC)
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
The Goodloe Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Goodloe Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 3 November 2015 at 06:58.
on orders of $85 or more