Origins Available: Dutch
Early Origins of the Goll family
The surname Goll was first found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in North Holland, a province of the Netherlands
. The principal cities are Amsterdam, Haarlem and Hilversum. It was the seat of the old Counts of Holland. Seat of one of the oldest families is Brederode Castle near Haarlem. There are many old and quaint towns in the province. including Medemblik, Enkhuizen, Hoorn, Edam, and Monnikendam. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
Early History of the Goll family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Goll research.Another 281 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1542, 1726, and 1817 are included under the topic Early Goll History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Goll Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Goll, Gollen, Golen, Göleng, Golfin, Gollenhofer, Goller, Gölles, Golliz, Golling, Gollnhüter, Göllnitz, Gollmitz, Gollut and many more.
Early Notables of the Goll family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Goll Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Goll family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Goll Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Balthas Goll, who settled in Philadelphia in 1754
- Balthasar Goll, who settled in Pennsylvania in 1765
Goll Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Cathrine Goll, who arrived in New York in 1832
- Anne Marie Goll, who settled in New York in 1845
Goll Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Charles Goll, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Candahar" in 1850 CITATION[CLOSE]
State Records of South Australia. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) CANDAHAR 1850. Retrieved from http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/1850Candahar.htm
Contemporary Notables of the name Goll (post 1700)
- Paul Goll, American rock guitarist, best known for being a member of Donnie Iris and the Cruisers
- Charles L. Goll, American politician, Candidate for Circuit Judge in Michigan 28th Circuit, 1899 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 7) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- Claire Goll (1890-1977), born Clara Aischmann, German-born, French writer and journalist
- Yvan Goll (1891-1950), French-German poet
- Friedrich Goll (1829-1903), Swiss neuroanatomist
- Hannes Heinz Goll (1934-1999), Austrian sculptor, printmaker and painter
- Edward Goll (1884-1949), Bohemian-born, Australian pianist who often played for Queen Marie of Romania