on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, French
Where did the French Godbold family come from? What is the French Godbold family crest and coat of arms? When did the Godbold family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Godbold family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Godbout, Godebout, Godbold, Godebold, Godbert, Godebert, Godbard, Godebard, Godbart, Godebart, Godbil, Godebille, Godebilles, Godby, Godeby and many more.
First found in Gascony (French: Gascogne), an area of southwest France bordering Spain, that was part of the "Province of Guyenne and Gascony" prior to the French Revolution, where the family was established in Aurbous, a village in the Basses-Pyrénées, in the district of Pau.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Godbold research. Another 129 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1539, 1759, 1843, and 1866 are included under the topic Early Godbold History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 38 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Godbold Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Godbold Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- George Godbold, who landed in Mobile County, Ala in 1842
- Norman Dozier Godbold (1877-1936), American Democrat politician, Circuit Judge in Hawaii; Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Hawaii Territory, 1924
- Norman D. Godbold Jr., American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Hawaii Territory, 1940
- Jake Godbold, American politician, Mayor of Jacksonville, Florida, 1979-87; Defeated, 1995
- Lucille Godbold, distinguished American athlete who won a gold medal at the First International Track Meet for Women in Paris
- Jake Maurice Godbold, chemical company executive, Florida
- Daryl Martin Godbold (b. 1964), former professional footballer
- Jake Godbold, mayor of Jacksonville, Florida from 1978–1987
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Conrad, Glenn R. The First Families of Louisiana. Baton Rouge LA: Claitor's Publishing, 1970. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Guérard, Albert Léon. France: a Modern History. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1959. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Vaillancourt, Emile. La Conquete du Canada par les Normands. Biographie de la premiere generation Normande du Canada. Montreal: G. Ducharme, 1930. Print.
The Godbold Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Godbold Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 October 2015 at 10:05.
on orders of $85 or more