The Glowinski surname is derived from the Polish root word "glowa," which means "head."
Early Origins of the Glowinski family
The surname Glowinski was first found in Polesie, the largest province of Poland. It is inhabited by Ruthenians, called Polesians, of Ukrainian descent. The main towns are those of Brest Litovsk, Pinsk, Kobryn, Kamenets, Litovsk, and Luninets. It was in this province that the renowned Radziwills and Sapiehas held their vast estates. Wolczyn was the seat of the Czartoryski family. The surname became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. In their later history the name became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
Early History of the Glowinski family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Glowinski research.Another 189 words (14 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Glowinski History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Glowinski Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Hlavacek, Hlavac, Hlovaski, Hlobeczy, Glowacki, Glowaczy, Hlobecki, Hloweczy and many more.
Early Notables of the Glowinski family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Glowinski Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Glowinski family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Glowinski Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Hnat Glowinski, aged 46, who landed in America from Holoszynce, Galicia, in 1907
- Jozef Glowinski, aged 20, who emigrated to the United States from Zamoscic, Austria, in 1907
- Jan Glowinski, aged 27, who settled in America from Stalinscz, Russia, in 1909
- Franczisek Glowinski, aged 28, who settled in America from Borek, Austria, in 1909
- Jan Glowinski, aged 17, who emigrated to the United States from Csahary Zeluskie, Austria, in 1910
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Glowinski (post 1700)
- Roland Glowinski (b. 1937), French-born, American mathematician