100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The Glendening surname was taken on from the place name Glendonwyne, a parish of Westkirk, Dumfries, on record since the 14th century.
The surname Glendening was first found in Roxburghshire
, where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Glendinning, Glendowyn, Glendowyne, Glendonyn, Glendonwyn, Glendening, Glendon, Glenden, Glendin, Glendining, Glendinnin, Glendyning, Glendounn, Clendenning, Clendinning and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Glendening research. Another 259 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1250, 1451, 1667, 1408, 1387, 1388 and 1401 are included under the topic Early Glendening History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 215 words (15 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Glendening Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the Glendening family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 103 words (7 lines of text) about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Glendening Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Robt. Glendening, aged 47, who settled in America from Belfast, in 1892
- Mrs. J. H. Glendening, aged 29, who landed in America, in 1895
- Infant Glendening, aged 0, who emigrated to America, in 1895
Glendening Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Louisa Glendening, aged 39, who emigrated to the United States, in 1906
- William H Glendening, aged 47, who emigrated to the United States from London, in 1907
- Thomas Glendening, aged 42, who landed in America, in 1921
- George A. Glendening, aged 41, who landed in America, in 1921
- Jessie Glendening, aged 43, who landed in America from Melbourne, Australia, in 1923
- Luke Glendening (b. 1989), American professional AHL ice hockey player
- Frances Anne Hughes Glendening, former First Lady of Maryland
- Sarah Glendening (b. 1982), American actress, best known for her role as Lucy Montgomery on the CBS soap As the World Turns
- Parris Nelson Glendening (b. 1942), American Democrat politician, the 59th Governor of Maryland
- Parris N. Glendening (b. 1942), American Democrat politician, Prince George's County Executive, 1982-94; Governor of Maryland, 1995-2003
- Black, George F. The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Paul, Sir James Balfour. An Ordinary of Arms Contained in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland Second Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1903. Print.
- Adam, Frank. Clans Septs and Regiments of the Scottish Highlands 8th Edition. London: Bacon (G.W.) & Co, 1970. Print. (ISBN 10-0717945006).
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
The Glendening Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Glendening Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 October 2015 at 11:30.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!