on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Glendening family come from? What is the Scottish Glendening family crest and coat of arms? When did the Glendening family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Glendening family history?The Glendening surname was taken on from the place name Glendonwyne, a parish of Westkirk, Dumfries, on record since the 14th century.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Glendinning, Glendowyn, Glendowyne, Glendonyn, Glendonwyn, Glendening, Glendon, Glenden, Glendin, Glendining, Glendinnin, Glendyning, Glendounn, Clendenning, Clendinning and many more.
First found in Roxburghshire, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Glendening research. Another 259 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1250, 1451, 1667, 1408, 1387, 1388 and 1401 are included under the topic Early Glendening History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 215 words (15 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Glendening Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Glendening family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 103 words (7 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Glendening Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Robt. Glendening, aged 47, who settled in America from Belfast, in 1892
- Mrs. J. H. Glendening, aged 29, who landed in America, in 1895
- Infant Glendening, aged 0, who emigrated to America, in 1895
Glendening Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Louisa Glendening, aged 39, who emigrated to the United States, in 1906
- William H Glendening, aged 47, who emigrated to the United States from London, in 1907
- Thomas Glendening, aged 42, who landed in America, in 1921
- George A. Glendening, aged 41, who landed in America, in 1921
- Jessie Glendening, aged 43, who landed in America from Melbourne, Australia, in 1923
- Luke Glendening (b. 1989), American professional AHL ice hockey player
- Frances Anne Hughes Glendening, former First Lady of Maryland
- Sarah Glendening (b. 1982), American actress, best known for her role as Lucy Montgomery on the CBS soap As the World Turns
- Parris Nelson Glendening (b. 1942), American Democrat politician, the 59th Governor of Maryland
- Parris N. Glendening (b. 1942), American Democrat politician, Prince George's County Executive, 1982-94; Governor of Maryland, 1995-2003
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Paul, Sir James Balfour. An Ordinary of Arms Contained in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland Second Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1903. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Scots Kith and Kin And Illustrated Map Revised 2nd Edition. Edinburgh: Clan House/Albyn. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Scotch Irish Pioneers In Ulster and America. Montana: Kessinger Publishing. Print.
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
The Glendening Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Glendening Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 October 2015 at 11:30.
on orders of $85 or more