100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Glendening family come from? What is the Scottish Glendening family crest and coat of arms? When did the Glendening family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Glendening family history?The Glendening surname was taken on from the place name Glendonwyne, a parish of Westkirk, Dumfries, on record since the 14th century.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Glendinning, Glendowyn, Glendowyne, Glendonyn, Glendonwyn, Glendening, Glendon, Glenden, Glendin, Glendining, Glendinnin, Glendyning, Glendounn, Clendenning, Clendinning and many more.
First found in Roxburghshire, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Glendening research. Another 259 words(18 lines of text) covering the years 1250, 1451, 1667, 1408, 1387, 1388 and 1401 are included under the topic Early Glendening History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 215 words(15 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Glendening Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Glendening family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 103 words(7 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Glendening Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Robt. Glendening, aged 47, who settled in America from Belfast, in 1892
- Mrs. J. H. Glendening, aged 29, who landed in America, in 1895
- Infant Glendening, aged 0, who emigrated to America, in 1895
Glendening Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Louisa Glendening, aged 39, who emigrated to the United States, in 1906
- William H Glendening, aged 47, who emigrated to the United States from London, in 1907
- Thomas Glendening, aged 42, who landed in America, in 1921
- George A. Glendening, aged 41, who landed in America, in 1921
- Jessie Glendening, aged 43, who landed in America from Melbourne, Australia, in 1923
- Parris Nelson Glendening (b. 1942), American Democrat politician, the 59th Governor of Maryland
- Sarah Glendening (b. 1982), American actress, best known for her role as Lucy Montgomery on the CBS soap As the World Turns
- Frances Anne Hughes Glendening, former First Lady of Maryland
- Luke Glendening (b. 1989), American professional AHL ice hockey player
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry Including American Families with British Ancestry 2 Volumes. London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Fairbairn,. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Moody David. Scottish Family History. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0806312688).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
The Glendening Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Glendening Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 20 December 2014 at 07:31.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!