Glendening History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Glendening surname was taken on from the place name Glendonwyne, a parish of Westerkirk, Dumfriesshire, on record since the 13th century.   The name literally means "one who came from Glendinning (glen of the fair hill)." 
Early Origins of the Glendening family
The surname Glendening was first found in Dumfriesshire. "Douglas (Baronage) states that a charter was granted by John Macgill of that Ilk (de eodem) to Adam de Glendonwyn of all his part of the lands and beronies of Clifton and Merbotel in the shire of Roxburgh prior to 1286." 
Continuing from this source: "In 1313 Sir Adam obtained a discharge of all bygone feu-duties from Archibald Douglas, lord of Galloway, and in 1398 John of Glendonwyne and Symoun of Glendonwyne were two of the 'borowis' for the earl of Douglas's bounds of the West March, and Symon of Glendonwyn was hostage for Archibald, Earl of Douglas, 1408." 
The Glenday (Glendy) variant is "a common name in Angus from the district of that name. William Glendy obtained a decree against the Earl of Craufurd in 1569." 
Early History of the Glendening family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Glendening research. Another 253 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1250, 1408, 1450, 1467, 1451, 1239, 1504, 1587, 1599, 1667, 1720, 1798, 1408, 1387, 1388, 1401 and are included under the topic Early Glendening History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Glendening Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Glendinning, Glendowyn, Glendowyne, Glendonyn, Glendonwyn, Glendening, Glendon, Glenden, Glendin, Glendining, Glendinnin, Glendyning, Glendounn, Clendenning, Clendinning and many more.
Early Notables of the Glendening family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family at this time was Matthew de Glendonwyn (d. 1408), late 14th and early 15th century bishop of Glasgow, elected to the see after the death of Cardinal Walter Wardlaw, his predecessor as bishop, elected sometime between Wardlaw's death in September and Matthew's first appearance as bishop-elect in December, consecrated some months after his election...
Another 58 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Glendening Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Glendening family to Ireland
Some of the Glendening family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 67 words (5 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
| Glendening migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Glendening Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Robert Glendening, aged 47, who settled in America from Belfast, in 1892
- Mrs. J. H. Glendening, aged 29, who landed in America, in 1895
- Infant Glendening, aged 0, who immigrated to America, in 1895
Glendening Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Louisa Glendening, aged 39, who immigrated to the United States, in 1906
- William H Glendening, aged 47, who immigrated to the United States from London, in 1907
- Thomas Glendening, aged 42, who landed in America, in 1921
- George A. Glendening, aged 41, who landed in America, in 1921
- Jessie Glendening, aged 43, who landed in America from Melbourne, Australia, in 1923
|Contemporary Notables of the name Glendening (post 1700) ||+|
- Luke Glendening (b. 1989), American professional AHL ice hockey player
- Frances Anne Hughes Glendening, former First Lady of Maryland
- Sarah Glendening (b. 1982), American actress, best known for her role as Lucy Montgomery on the CBS soap As the World Turns
- Parris Nelson Glendening (b. 1942), American Democratic Party politician, the 59th Governor of Maryland 
- Parris N. Glendening (b. 1942), American Democratic Party politician, Prince George's County Executive, 1982-94; Governor of Maryland, 1995-2003 
- Lower, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
- Barber, Henry, British Family Names London: Elliot Stock, 62 Paternoster Row, 1894. Print.
- Smith, Eldson Coles, New Dictionary of American Family Names New York: Harper & Row, 1956. Print
- Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)
- The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2012, November 18) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 26) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html