The Glendening surname was taken on from the place name Glendonwyne, a parish of Westkirk, Dumfries, on record since the 14th century.
Early Origins of the Glendening family
The surname Glendening was first found in Roxburghshire
, where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Glendening family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Glendening research.Another 259 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1250, 1451, 1667, 1408, 1387, 1388 and 1401 are included under the topic Early Glendening History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Glendening Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Glendinning, Glendowyn, Glendowyne, Glendonyn, Glendonwyn, Glendening, Glendon, Glenden, Glendin, Glendining, Glendinnin, Glendyning, Glendounn, Clendenning, Clendinning and many more.
Early Notables of the Glendening family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family at this time was Matthew de Glendonwyn (d. 1408), late 14th and early 15th century bishop of Glasgow, elected to the see after the death of Cardinal Walter Wardlaw, his predecessor as bishop, elected sometime between Wardlaw's death in September and Matthew's first appearance as bishop-elect in... Another 65 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Glendening Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Glendening family to Ireland
Some of the Glendening family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 103 words (7 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Glendening family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Glendening Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Robert Glendening, aged 47, who settled in America from Belfast, in 1892
- Mrs. J. H. Glendening, aged 29, who landed in America, in 1895
- Infant Glendening, aged 0, who emigrated to America, in 1895
Glendening Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Louisa Glendening, aged 39, who emigrated to the United States, in 1906
- William H Glendening, aged 47, who emigrated to the United States from London, in 1907
- Thomas Glendening, aged 42, who landed in America, in 1921
- George A. Glendening, aged 41, who landed in America, in 1921
- Jessie Glendening, aged 43, who landed in America from Melbourne, Australia, in 1923
Contemporary Notables of the name Glendening (post 1700)
- Luke Glendening (b. 1989), American professional AHL ice hockey player
- Frances Anne Hughes Glendening, former First Lady of Maryland
- Sarah Glendening (b. 1982), American actress, best known for her role as Lucy Montgomery on the CBS soap As the World Turns
- Parris Nelson Glendening (b. 1942), American Democrat politician, the 59th Governor of Maryland CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2012, November 18) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- Parris N. Glendening (b. 1942), American Democrat politician, Prince George's County Executive, 1982-94; Governor of Maryland, 1995-2003 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 26) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html