on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the Scottish Glendening family come from? What is the Scottish Glendening family crest and coat of arms? When did the Glendening family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Glendening family history?The Glendening surname was taken on from the place name Glendonwyne, a parish of Westkirk, Dumfries, on record since the 14th century.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Glendinning, Glendowyn, Glendowyne, Glendonyn, Glendonwyn, Glendening, Glendon, Glenden, Glendin, Glendining, Glendinnin, Glendyning, Glendounn, Clendenning, Clendinning and many more.
First found in Roxburghshire, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Glendening research. Another 259 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1250, 1451, 1667, 1408, 1387, 1388 and 1401 are included under the topic Early Glendening History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 215 words (15 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Glendening Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Glendening family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 103 words (7 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Glendening Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Robt. Glendening, aged 47, who settled in America from Belfast, in 1892
- Mrs. J. H. Glendening, aged 29, who landed in America, in 1895
- Infant Glendening, aged 0, who emigrated to America, in 1895
Glendening Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Louisa Glendening, aged 39, who emigrated to the United States, in 1906
- William H Glendening, aged 47, who emigrated to the United States from London, in 1907
- Thomas Glendening, aged 42, who landed in America, in 1921
- George A. Glendening, aged 41, who landed in America, in 1921
- Jessie Glendening, aged 43, who landed in America from Melbourne, Australia, in 1923
- Luke Glendening (b. 1989), American professional AHL ice hockey player
- Frances Anne Hughes Glendening, former First Lady of Maryland
- Sarah Glendening (b. 1982), American actress, best known for her role as Lucy Montgomery on the CBS soap As the World Turns
- Parris Nelson Glendening (b. 1942), American Democrat politician, the 59th Governor of Maryland
- Parris N. Glendening (b. 1942), American Democrat politician, Prince George's County Executive, 1982-94; Governor of Maryland, 1995-2003
- Moody David. Scottish Family History. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0806312688).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Fulton, Alexander. Scotland and Her Tartans: The Romantic Heritage of the Scottish Clans and Families. Godalming: Bramley, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-86283-880-0).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Scots Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Mordern Application of the Art and Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Warner, Philip Warner. Famous Scottish Battles. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1996. Print. (ISBN 0-76070-004-4).
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Black, George F. The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3).
The Glendening Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Glendening Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 October 2015 at 11:30.
on orders of $85 or more