The root of the ancient Dalriadan-Scottish name Gleedge is a devotion to Christianity.
The Gaelic form of the name is M'A'Lios,
which is a shortened form of Mac Giolla Iosa,
meaning son of the servant of Jesus.
Early Origins of the Gleedge family
The surname Gleedge was first found in Perthshire
(Gaelic: Siorrachd Pheairt) former county in the present day Council Area of Perth and Kinross, located in central Scotland
, where they held a family seat
from early times and their first records appeared on the early rolls taken by the Kings of England
Early History of the Gleedge family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gleedge research.Another 195 words (14 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gleedge History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gleedge Spelling Variations
Historical recordings of the name Gleedge include many spelling variations
. They include They are the result of repeated translations of the name from Gaelic to English and inconsistencies in spelling rules. MacLeish, MacCleish, MacLise, MacLish, MacGillies, MacGleish, MacGillis, MacLeash and many more.
Early Notables of the Gleedge family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Gleedge Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Gleedge family to the New World and Oceana
Descendents of Dalriadan-Scottish families still populate many communities across North America. They are particularly common in Canada, since many went north as United Empire Loyalists at the time of the American War of Independence
. Much later, in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the highland games and Clan
societies that now dot North America sprang up, allowing many Scots to recover their lost national heritage. Some of the first immigrants to cross the Atlantic and come to North America bore the name Gleedge, or a variant listed above: Anne McLeish settled in Pennsylvania in 1833; George and Catherine McGillis settled in Pennsylvania in 1773.