on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Dutch
The surname Gilstrap was first found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in Amsterdam, an ancient 13th century town held by the Lords of Amstel. Giesebrecht II built a castle there. Geisbrecht III built the dam to keep out the sea. It is first mentioned in charters of 1275 when Floris IV, the count of Holland granted its charter. It became a city of great mercantile wealth. It hold great treasures of art. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into a most influential family.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gilse, Gils, Gilsa, Gilsen, Gilson, Gilst, Gelse and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gilstrap research. Another 189 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1667 and 1812 are included under the topic Early Gilstrap History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Gilstrap Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gilstrap Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Anna H. Gilstrap, aged 27, who settled in Dalton, Ga., in 1922
- Mark Gilstrap (b. 1952), American politician, Kansas state legislator
- Jim Gilstrap (1942-2007), American college and CFL football coach
- James Earl "Jim" Gilstrap (b. 1948), American singer, known for his solo hit single "Swing Your Daddy" (1975)
- Hunter Gilstrap (b. 1983), American professional soccer player
- Chena Gilstrap (d. 2002), American college football coach
- Robert "Bob" Gilstrap (b. 1974), American mixed martial artist
- Sir William Gilstrap (1816-1896), 1st Baronet, of Fornham St Genevieve, Suffolk, English maltster and philanthropist
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
The Gilstrap Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gilstrap Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 10 February 2016 at 03:00.
on orders of $85 or more