Geoffrion History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The majestic region of Dauphiné, in the French Alps, was the homeland of the prominent surname Geoffrion. The surname Geoffrion is derived from the given name Geoffrey. This makes Geoffrion a patronymic surname, which is a type of hereditary surname. Patronyms could derive from the name of an ancestor, a religious figure, or a prominent political figure. In this case, the surname Geoffrion means "son of Geoffrey."
Early Origins of the Geoffrion family
The surname Geoffrion was first found in Dauphiny (French: Dauphiné or Dauphiné Viennois), a former province in southeastern France, where this eminent family has held a family seat since ancient times.
Important Dates for the Geoffrion family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Geoffrion research. Another 304 words (22 lines of text) covering the years 1060, 1072, 1256, 1633, 1672, 1685, 1693, 1694, 1731, and 1752 are included under the topic Early Geoffrion History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Geoffrion Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Geoffre, Geouffre, Jeoffre, Jeffre, Jeouffre, Jeffres, Geoffres, Jeoffres, Jeouffres, Geouffres, Jeffres, Geffres, Cheffre, Chouffre, Cheffres, Chouffres and many more.
Early Notables of the Geoffrion family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family at this time was Jean-Nicolas Geoffroy (1633-1694), French harpsichordist and organist; Étienne François Geoffroy (1672-1731), French apothecary and chemist; Claude Joseph Geoffroy (1685-1752), French apothecary, chemist and...
Another 31 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Geoffrion Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Geoffrion family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Louis Geoffray settled in Virginia in 1700; James Jeffres, aged 20, settled in Boston, Massachusetts in 1848; Mary Jeffres, aged 60, settled in Boston, Massachusetts in 1849..
Contemporary Notables of the name Geoffrion (post 1700)
- Blake Geoffrion (b. 1988), American professional NHL ice hockey player
- Christophe-Alphonse Geoffrion PC (1843-1899), Canadian lawyer, professor, and politician, Member of the Canadian Parliament for Verchères (1895-1896)
- Victor Geoffrion (1851-1923), Canadian politician, Member of the Canadian Parliament for Chambly-Verchères (1900-1911)
- Daniel Geoffrion (b. 1958), Canadian retired professional NHL ice hockey player
- Félix Geoffrion PC (1832-1894), Canadian notary and politician, Member of the Canadian Parliament for Verchères (1867-1894)
- Joseph André Bernard Geoffrion (1931-2006), nicknamed Boom Boom, Canadian professional NHL ice hockey player and coach, inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1972
You May Also Like