on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Irish names tend to vary widely in their spelling and overall form. The original Gaelic form of the name Gaynor is "Mag Fhionnbhairr," which is derived from the word "fionnbharr," which means "fair head."
The surname Gaynor was first found in county Longford
(Irish: An Longfort) traditionally known as Annaly or Teffia, and situated in the Irish Midlands, in Northwest Leinster
, where they held a family seat
from very ancient times.
The recording of names in Ireland during the Middle Ages was an inconsistent endeavor at best. Since the general population did not know how to read or write, they could only specify how their names should be recorded orally. Research into the name Gaynor revealed spelling variations, including Gaynor, Gainor, Gainer, Gaines, Gains, McGaynor and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gaynor research. Another 198 words (14 lines of text) covering the year 1172 is included under the topic Early Gaynor History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Gaynor Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
A great mass of Ireland's native population left the island in the 19th century, seeking relief from various forms of social, religious, and economic discrimination. This Irish exodus was primarily to North America. If the migrants survived the long ocean journey, many unfortunately would find more discrimination in the colonies of British North America and the fledgling United States of America. These newly arrived Irish were, however, wanted as a cheap source of labor for the many large agricultural and industrial projects that were essential to the development of what would become two of the wealthiest nations in the western world. Early immigration and passenger lists indicate many people bearing the Gaynor name:
Gaynor Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Gaynor, who landed in New York in 1801
- Michael Gaynor, who landed in Tippecanoe County, Ind in 1840
- Capt. Gaynor, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Austin, Edward, James, John, Luke, Patrick, and Peter Gaynor, all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860
- James S Gaynor, who arrived in Mississippi in 1868
Gaynor Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. James Gaynor U.E. who settled in Saint John, New Brunswick c. 1784 he died in 1823
- Mr. Peter Gaynor U.E. who settled in Saint John, New Brunswick c. 1784
Gaynor Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Catherine Gaynor, aged 20, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1834 aboard the ship "Edwin" from Dublin
- Edward Walter Gaynor, who landed in Canada in 1888
Gaynor Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Edward Gaynor, English convict from Kent, who was transported aboard the "Ann" on August 1809, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- H. Gaynor arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Calphurnia" in 1849
- William Gaynor, aged 23, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Omega"
- Robert Gaynor, aged 46, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Omega"
Gaynor Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Terence Gaynor, aged 19, a farm labourer, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Queen of Nations" in 1874
- William Jay Gaynor (1849-1913), American Democrat politician, Justice of New York Supreme Court 2nd District, 1894-1907; Mayor of New York City, New York, 1910-13
- John S. Gaynor, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from New York, 1912 (Republican, 5th District), 1914 (Progressive, 5th District), 1918 (Republican, 7th District)
- William J. Gaynor, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Illinois, 1920
- John J. Gaynor, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Illinois, 1892
- John F. Gaynor, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Ohio, 1916
- Harry J. Gaynor, American Republican politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Monroe County 4th District, 1936; Defeated, 1936
- Grant Gaynor, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1972
- Gene Gaynor, American politician, Candidate for Mayor of Lancaster, California, 2004
- Frank Gaynor, American Democrat politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly from Erie County 6th District, 1933
- Francis Robert Gaynor (1852-1920), American Republican politician, District judge in Iowa 4th District, 1891-1912; Justice of Iowa State Supreme Court, 1913-20
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Land Owners in Ireland. Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1203-3).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Heraldic Scroll and Map of Family names and Origins of Ireland. Dublin: Mullins. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- MacLysaght, Edward. Mores Irish Familes. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-0126-0).
- Woodham-Smith, Cecil. The Great Hunger Ireland 1845-1849. New York: Old Town Books, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-385-3).
- Hickey, D.J. and J.E. Doherty. A New Dictionary of Irish History form 1800 2nd Edition. Dublin: Gil & MacMillian, 2003. Print.
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Fitzgerald, Thomas W. Ireland and Her People A Library of Irish Biography 5 Volumes. Chicago: Fitzgerald. Print.
The Gaynor Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gaynor Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 25 April 2016 at 11:52.
on orders of $85 or more