Gayer History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Gayer family
The surname Gayer was first found in Belgium, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in Hainault, a province in Belgium, based on the ancient county of Hainaut. Within this province the notable towns are Mons, the capital city, Charleroi, Tournai, Soignies and Thuin. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into a most influential family.
Important Dates for the Gayer family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gayer research. Another 105 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1487, 1738, 1532, 1562 and 1773 are included under the topic Early Gayer History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gayer Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gay, Gaye, Gayant, Gayer, Gayet, Gaykema, Gayl, Gayling, Gaylingen, Gaymand, Gayon, Gaysgöbl, Gaysspitz, Gayzan and many more.
Early Notables of the Gayer family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Gayer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gayer migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Gayer Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Gayer Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Francis Gayer, who settled in Virginia in 1635
Gayer Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Sampson Gayer, who arrived in Virginia in 1706 
- Andrew Gayer, a bonded passenger who arrived in Virginia in 1718
- George Gayer, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1761 
- Joh Erhardt Gayer, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1771 
Gayer Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- G Gayer, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851 
- Fredrich Gayer, who landed in Iowa in 1888 
Contemporary Notables of the name Gayer (post 1700)
- Ted Gayer, American economist, associate professor at Georgetown Public Policy Institute
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)