Gatewood History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Gatewood family
The surname Gatewood was first found in Essex where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1255 when Richard le Gateward held estates in that county.
Important Dates for the Gatewood family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gatewood research. Another 96 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1273, 1455, 1487, and 1524 are included under the topic Early Gatewood History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gatewood Spelling Variations
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Gatewood include Gatward, Gatewood, Gatwood, Gateward, Gattward and many more.
Early Notables of the Gatewood family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Gatewood Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gatewood migration to the United States
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Gatewood Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Nathaniel Gatewood, who settled in Barbados in 1679
Gatewood Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ignatius Gatewood, who settled in Texas in 1839
- Devereaux Gatewood, who settled in Texas in 1839
- Charles W. Gatewood, who settled in Texas in 1839
Contemporary Notables of the name Gatewood (post 1700)
- Charles Gatewood (1942-2016), American photographer, writer, videographer, artist and educator; the Charles Gatewood Archive holds antique prints and over 250,000 slides and negatives
- Sean Gatewood, Democratic member of the Kansas House of Representatives
- Yusuf Michael Gatewood (b. 1982), Canadian-American film actor
- Thomas Gatewood Jr. (b. 1950), former American football wide receiver
- Randy Gatewood (b. 1973), former American football wide receiver in the National Football League
- William "Big Bill" Gatewood (b. 1881), American Negro Leagues pitcher and manager
- Aubrey Lee Gatewood (b. 1938), American retired professional baseball player
- James Curtis Gatewood (b. 1985), American football linebacker
- Emma Rowena Gatewood (1887-1973), American extreme hiker and ultra-light hiking pioneer
- George David Gatewood (b. 1940), American astronomer
- ... (Another 4 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)