Gamez History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The prestigious surname Gamez originated in Spain, a country which has figured prominently in world affairs for hundreds of years. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in Spain were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. Spanish patronymic names emerged as early as the mid-9th century and the most common patronymic suffix is ez. The patronyms were derived from a variety of given names that were of many different origins. Some names are derived from the saints of the Christian Church, but many Spanish surnames are derived from personal names of Germanic origin. The Visigoths, who ruled Spain between the mid-5th and early 8th centuries had a profound impact on the development of surnames.
Early Origins of the Gamez family
The surname Gamez was first found in Castile, where the name originated in Visigothic times.
Important Dates for the Gamez family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gamez research. Another 93 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1643, 1680, 1580 and 1645 are included under the topic Early Gamez History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gamez Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gómez, Gomez, Gómiz, Gomiz, Gomeza, Cómiz, Comiz, Gumiz, Gúmez, Gumez, Gumaz, Gomiziz, Comaziz, Gámiz, Gamiz, Gámez and many more.
Early Notables of the Gamez family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family Munio and García Gómez, 10th century counts of Castile; Juan de Alfaro y Gamez (1643-1680), Spanish Baroque painter; García Gómez, 15th century writer; Francisco Gómez de Quevedo y Villegas (1580-1645), better known as...
Another 38 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gamez Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Gamez family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Gonzalo, who emigrated to Guatemala in 1560; Pedro, to Mexico in 1561; Catalina, to Nicaragua in 1561; Beatriz, to Peru in 1562; Martín, to Peru in 1563.
Contemporary Notables of the name Gamez (post 1700)
- Robert Anthony Gamez (b. 1968), American professional PGA golfer
- Frank J. Gamez, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Texas, 1972 
- Adolfo F. Gamez, American politician, Mayor of Tolleson, Arizona, 2013 
- Juan de Alfaro y Gamez (1610-1680), Spanish painter of the Baroque
- Jesús Gámez (b. 1985), Spanish footballer
- Enrique Roberto Gámez (b. 1981), Ecuadorian footballer
- Celia Gámez (1908-1992), Argentine film actress
- Vladimir Díaz Gamez, Cuban painter
- Silvio Rafael "Leo" Gamez (b. 1963), Venezuela boxer
You May Also Like
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 7) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html