Galusha History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished German surname Galusha is derived from the Celtic word "Gallus," meaning "foreigner, stranger." During the Middle Ages, the name was popular throughout Europe in various forms due to the fame of St. Gall, a 7th century Irish monk. "Galusha" was initially bestowed as a personal name in Germany, and was likely transformed into a surname during the late 11th century.
Early Origins of the Galusha family
The surname Galusha was first found in various regions of Germany. The surname emerged independently in the regions of Bavaria, Pomerania, Silesia, and Oldenburg, creating several branches of the family as early as the 13th century. The young Galusha family was instrumental during this early period, each branch playing a major role in the development of medieval German society in its particular region.
Early History of the Galusha family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Galusha research. Another 108 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1595, 1601, 1650, 1812, 1815, 1846, and 1855 are included under the topic Early Galusha History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Galusha Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gall, Gallus, Gaul, Gaw, Galuska, Galusha, Galuscha, Galluska, Gallusha, Galle, Kala, Kalis and many more.
Early Notables of the Galusha family (pre 1700)
Another 42 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Galusha Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Galusha is the 16,937th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Migration of the Galusha family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Rosina Galle, a Moravian who came to New York in 1749; Benedictus Galle, who settled in Philadelphia in 1764; Lorenz Kalis, who immigrated to Brazil in 1826.
Contemporary Notables of the name Galusha (post 1700) +
- Jonas Galusha (1753-1834), American politician, 6th and 8th Governor of Vermont (1809-1813) and (1815-1820)
- Elon Galusha (1790-1856), American lawyer and Baptist preacher, son of Jonas Galusha
- Eugene B. "Gene" Galusha (1941-2008), American narrator who worked for PBS, ESPN, Court TV, Discovery Channel, A&E, ABC, The Learning Channel and NFL Films
- Jonas Galusha (1753-1834), American politician, Member of Vermont Governor's Council, 1793-98, 1801-05; Justice of Vermont State Supreme Court, 1807-08; Governor of Vermont, 1809-13, 1815-20 
- A. Galusha, American politician, Secretary of State of Nebraska, 1905-07 
- Kerry Galusha (b. 1977), Canadian curling skip from Yellowknife, Northwest Territories who has made 11 appearances at the Scott Tournament of Hearts ("Scotties")
Related Stories +