Francom History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Francom family
The surname Francom was first found in Huntingdonshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that shire.
Important Dates for the Francom family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Francom research. Another 89 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1234, 1273, 1455, and 1487 are included under the topic Early Francom History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Francom Spelling Variations
Spelling variations in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago. In the Middle Ages, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other European languages. Many variations of the name Francom have been found, including Francome, Francom, Francombe, Frankham, Fransham, Framsham, Frankcombe, Franckcombe, Frankum, Francum, Francomb and many more.
Early Notables of the Francom family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Francom Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Francom migration to the United States
Families began migrating abroad in enormous numbers because of the political and religious discontent in England. Often faced with persecution and starvation in England, the possibilities of the New World attracted many English people. Although the ocean trips took many lives, those who did get to North America were instrumental in building the necessary groundwork for what would become for new powerful nations. Some of the first immigrants to cross the Atlantic and come to North America bore the name Francom, or a variant listed above:
Francom Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Frank Francom, aged 22, who landed in America from New Brighton, England, in 1911
- Joshua Francom, aged 24, who settled in America, in 1922
- Annie Mary Francom, aged 32, who landed in America from Wallasey, England, in 1922
- Dorothy Francom, aged 13, who immigrated to the United States from Wallasey, England, in 1922
- Jsahor Francom, aged 25, who landed in America, in 1923
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Francom (post 1700)
Historic Events for the Francom family
- Mr. James Francom, English Extra Second Baker from England, who worked aboard the RMS Lusitania and survived the sinking 
- ^ Lusitania Passenger List - The Lusitania Resource. (Retrieved 2014, March 10) . Retrieved from http://www.rmslusitania.info/lusitania-passenger-list/