A variety of distinguished and notable names have emerged from the beautiful and historical Italian region of Tuscany
, including the notable surname Francesconi. During the Middle Ages, as populations grew and travel between regions became more frequent, the people of Tuscany, who were originally known only by a single name, found it necessary to adopt a second name to identify themselves and their families. This process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames
in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries, but it was not completed until the modern era. The development of Italian hereditary surnames followed general principles and were characterized by derivatives from one's given name. The patronymic
surname, which is derived from the father's given name, was one of the most common name types found in the region of Tuscany
. This system of name-making was widely used because it linked well with the existing Feudal
System and during the Christian era, many people named their children after saints and biblical figures. The surname Francesconi came from the very popular medieval given name Francis, which itself was originally derived from the Latin Franciscus. This was originally a name for a Frenchman.
Early Origins of the Francesconi family
The surname Francesconi was first found in Siena where Bartolomeo di Francesco lived in 1349.
Early History of the Francesconi family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Francesconi research. More information is included under the topic Early Francesconi History in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Francesconi Spelling Variations
In comparison with other European surnames, Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms. They reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each with its own distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the typical Italian surname suffix is "i", whereas in Southern Italy it is "o". Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. The spelling variations
in the name Francesconi include Franceschi, Francesco, Francesca, De Franceschi, De Francesco, De Francisci, De Franciscis, Di Francesco, Francescatti, Franchetti, Franciscello, Franceschelli, Franceschetti, Franceschetto, Franceschet, Franceschini, Franceschin, Franceschinel, Francescotti, Francesconi, Francescon, Francescato, Cecchi, Ceschi, Checchi, Chini and many more.
Early Notables of the Francesconi family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Piero della Francesca (c.
1415-1492), was an Early Renaissance
painter is famous for his depiction of perspective. He also wrote several books on this subject. Francesco de Franceschi (active 1443-1468) was an Italian Renaissance
painter. Francesco Franceschi (died c. 1599) was a printer in... Another 140 words (10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Francesconi Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Francesconi family to the New World and Oceana
Early records show that people bearing the name Francesconi arrived in North America quite early:
Francesconi Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Attilio Francesconi, aged 27, who emigrated to the United States, in 1892
- Agestino Francesconi, aged 17, who landed in America from Madeano, in 1898
Francesconi Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Colombo Francesconi, aged 31, who emigrated to America from Ponte Monyoli, Italy, in 1909
- Carlo Francesconi, aged 24, who emigrated to the United States from Montecalini, Italy, in 1910
- Angela Francesconi, aged 21, who landed in America from Ponta Mariano, Italy, in 1911
- Angelo Francesconi, aged 34, who settled in America from S. Concordio, Italy, in 1912
- Amalile Francesconi, aged 19, who emigrated to the United States from S. Concordio, Italy, in 1912
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Francesconi (post 1700)
- Judy Francesconi (b. 1957), American photographer
- Luca Francesconi (b. 1956), Italian composer
- Gianluca Francesconi (b. 1971), Italian professional footballer
- Fulvio Francesconi (b. 1944), Italian professional footballer
Francesconi Family Crest Products