Finer History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Finer family
The surname Finer was first found in Gascony (French: Gascogne), an area of southwest France bordering Spain, that was part of the "Province of Guyenne and Gascony" prior to the French Revolution, where the family has been a prominent family for centuries, and held a family seat with lands and manor. The family were well established in the region of Béarn and several members of the family distinguished themselves through their contributions toward the community in which they lived and were rewarded with lands, titles and letters patent confirming their nobility. They held a family seat at Tarne at Garonne. They also branched to Toulouse.
Early History of the Finer family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Finer research. Another 93 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1811 and 1812 are included under the topic Early Finer History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Finer Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Fineau, Fineaul, Fineaux, Finet, Finot, Finetal, Finotel, Finelle and many more.
Early Notables of the Finer family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Finer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Finer migration to Canada +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Finer Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Barbara Finer, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1757
Finer migration to New Zealand +
Emigration to New Zealand followed in the footsteps of the European explorers, such as Captain Cook (1769-70): first came sealers, whalers, missionaries, and traders. By 1838, the British New Zealand Company had begun buying land from the Maori tribes, and selling it to settlers, and, after the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840, many British families set out on the arduous six month journey from Britain to Aotearoa to start a new life. Early immigrants include:
Finer Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- F. William Finer, aged 37, a carpenter, who arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Golden Sea" in 1874
- Emily Finer, aged 27, who arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Golden Sea" in 1874
- Emily Finer, aged 6, who arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Golden Sea" in 1874
- Alice Finer, aged 4, who arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Golden Sea" in 1874
- Frederick John Finer, aged 2, who arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Golden Sea" in 1874
Contemporary Notables of the name Finer (post 1700) +
- Fred Finer, American politician, Mayor of Waukegan, Illinois, 1901-02 
Related Stories +