The Italian surname Filpi is a patronymic
name created from the first name of a male ancestor. As a first name, it is derived from the Latin "Philippus," which is in turn derived from the Greek "Philipp•s." This name is composed of the element "philos" which means "friend," and "hippos," meaning "horse." Thus the surname literally means "son of one who is a lover of horses." This name became common throughout Europe due to several saints and monarchs who bore the name.
Early Origins of the Filpi family
The surname Filpi was first found in the ancient city of Arcevia, where a record from 1238 showed a Corrado di Filippino, who owned Castle Montesecco.
Early History of the Filpi family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Filpi research.Another 280 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1625, 1457, 1574, 1536, 1602, 1830 and 1859 are included under the topic Early Filpi History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Filpi Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Filippi, Filippo, Filippa, Filpo, Filpi, Firpo, Filippino, Filipi, Filipucci, Filipipi, Firpi, De Filippo, De Filippi, De Filippis, Di Filippo, Filipovich, Filipcic, Filippelli, Filippello, Filippetti, Filippini, Filippucci, Filippozzi, Filipponi, Filippone, Filippazzo, Filippaz, Filipaz, Filipas, Filippanio, Filippato and many more.
Early Notables of the Filpi family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Fra Filippo Lippi, a famous Florentine painter of the 15th century. He was influenced by Massaccio, and painted much for the Medici family, the rulers at the time. Another famous painter was Filippino Lippi, born in Prato in 1457, who worked in Florence under... Another 149 words (11 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Filpi Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Filpi family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Filpi Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Giuseppe Filpi, aged 30, who emigrated to America from S. Poasa, Italy, in 1904
- Rosina Filpi, aged 20, who landed in America from S. Poasa, Italy, in 1904
- Vita Filpi, aged 42, who settled in America from Ileristino, Sicily, in 1907
- Vito Filpi, aged 24, who landed in America from Pianie Greu, Italy, in 1907
- Guiseppe Filpi, aged 12, who landed in America from S. Christina Gela, Palerno, in 1910
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Filpi (post 1700)
- Carmen Filpi (1923-2003), American actor, known for his roles in The Ice Pirates (1984), Pee-wee's Big Adventure (1985), Life Stinks (1991), and The Wedding Singer (1998)