The Italian surname Filippi is a patronymic
name created from the first name of a male ancestor. As a first name, it is derived from the Latin "Philippus," which is in turn derived from the Greek "Philipp•s." This name is composed of the element "philos" which means "friend," and "hippos," meaning "horse." Thus the surname literally means "son of one who is a lover of horses." This name became common throughout Europe due to several saints and monarchs who bore the name.
Early Origins of the Filippi family
The surname Filippi was first found in the ancient city of Arcevia, where a record from 1238 showed a Corrado di Filippino, who owned Castle Montesecco.
Early History of the Filippi family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Filippi research.Another 72 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1625, 1457, 1574, 1536, 1602, 1830 and 1859 are included under the topic Early Filippi History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Filippi Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Filippi, Filippo, Filippa, Filpo, Filpi, Firpo, Filippino, Filipi, Filipucci, Filipipi, Firpi, De Filippo, De Filippi, De Filippis, Di Filippo, Filipovich, Filipcic, Filippelli, Filippello, Filippetti, Filippini, Filippucci, Filippozzi, Filipponi, Filippone, Filippazzo, Filippaz, Filipaz, Filipas, Filippanio, Filippato and many more.
Early Notables of the Filippi family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Fra Filippo Lippi, a famous Florentine painter of the 15th century. He was influenced by Massaccio, and painted much for the Medici family, the rulers at the time. Another famous painter was Filippino Lippi, born in Prato in 1457, who worked in Florence under... Another 149 words (11 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Filippi Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Filippi family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Filippi Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Antonio Filippi, who arrived in Mobile County, Ala in 1843 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
Filippi Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Mario Filippi, aged 28, who arrived in New York in 1919 aboard the ship "Regina d'Italia" from Genova CITATION[CLOSE]
"New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J67H-Z61 : 6 December 2014), Mario Filippi, 30 Apr 1919; citing departure port Genova, arrival port New York, ship name Regina d'Italia, NARA microfilm publication T715 and M237 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).
- Bruna Filippi, aged 10, originally from Frisanco, Italy, who arrived in New York in 1919 aboard the ship "Caserta" from Genoa, Italy CITATION[CLOSE]
"New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J67D-FWB : 6 December 2014), Bruna Filippi, 13 Nov 1919; citing departure port Genoa, Italy, arrival port New York, ship name Caserta, NARA microfilm publication T715 and M237 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).
- Augosto Filippi, aged 21, originally from Marseilles, France, who arrived in New York in 1919 aboard the ship "Italia" from Marseilles, France CITATION[CLOSE]
"New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J67L-5PV : 6 December 2014), Augosto Filippi, 29 May 1919; citing departure port Marseilles, arrival port New York, ship name Italia, NARA microfilm publication T715 and M237 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).
Contemporary Notables of the name Filippi (post 1700)
- Blake A. Filippi, American politician, Member of the Rhode Island House of Representatives (2015-)
- Lido Filippi, Italian founder of Filippi Boats, an international manufacturer of rowing racing shells; his boats have achieved over 400 medals in World Rowing Championships and at the Olympic Games
- Camilla Filippi (b. 1979), Italian film, stage and television actress
- Alessia Filippi (b. 1987), Italian eleven-time gold medalist swimmer
- Luca Filippi (b. 1985), Italian racing driver who competes in the IndyCar Series
- Roberto "Pippo" Filippi (b. 1948), Italian former professional footballer and manager; the second player to win the Guerin d'Oro two times in a row (1978 and 1979)
- Filippo de Filippi (1814-1867), Italian physician, zoologist and politician, Senator of the Kingdom of Italy
- John Filippi (b. 1995), French auto racing driver who competes in the World Touring Car Championship for Campos Racing
- Tomas Filippi (b. 1992), Czech professional ice hockey player
- Rodéric Filippi (b. 1989), French professional footballer