Ferrill History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Ferrill surname comes from the Irish Gaelic name O Fearghail, which means "man of valor."
Early Origins of the Ferrill family
The surname Ferrill was first found in Leinster, where they were found mainly in County Longford.
Important Dates for the Ferrill family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ferrill research. Another 185 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1235 and 1248 are included under the topic Early Ferrill History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ferrill Spelling Variations
Because early scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded, a person could have many various spellings of his name.Many different spelling variations of the surname Ferrill were found in the archives researched. These included Ferrell, Farrell, O'Ferrall, O'Farrell, Farrelly, Fraleigh, Frawley, Frahill and many more.
Early Notables of the Ferrill family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Ferrill Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ferrill migration to the United States
A massive wave of Irish immigrants hit North America during the 19th century. Although many early Irish immigrants made a carefully planned decision to leave left Ireland for the promise of free land, by the 1840s immigrants were fleeing a famine stricken land in desperation. The condition of Ireland during the Great Potato Famine of the late 1840s can be attributed to a rapidly expanding population and English imperial policies. Those Irish families that arrived in North America were essential to its rapid social, industrial, and economic development. Passenger and immigration lists have revealed a number of early Irish immigrants bearing the name Ferrill:
Ferrill Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Alexander Ferrill, who arrived in Maryland in 1668 
Ferrill Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Garret Ferrill, who landed in Virginia in 1723 
Ferrill Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Thomas Ferrill, who arrived in New York in 1826 
Contemporary Notables of the name Ferrill (post 1700)
- Arther Ferrill, American professor emeritus of history at the University of Washington at Seattle
- London Ferrill (1789-1854), African American former slave who became the second preacher of the First African Baptist Church in Lexington, Kentucky
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)