The surname Favor is derived from the Old French word "fevre," which meant "a blacksmith;" as such, it was originally an occupational
name for a smith, or metal worker. While the patronymic
and metronymic surnames, those derived from the name of the father and mother respectively, were the most common form of a hereditary surname in France, occupational surnames also emerged during the late Middle Ages.
Early Origins of the Favor family
The surname Favor was first found in Savoy (French: Savoie) in the Rhône-Alpes region of the French Alps, where this noble family held a family seat
since ancient times.
Early History of the Favor family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Favor research.Another 561 words (40 lines of text) covering the years 1382, 1470, 1508, 1534, 1600, 1585, 1650, 1574, 1525, 1600, 1552, 1569, 1700, 1626, 1652, 1706, 1615, 1672, 1667 and 1716 are included under the topic Early Favor History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Favor Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Lefebvre, Lefebvres, Lefevres, Favre, Favres, Fevre, Febvre, Febvres, Favers, Lefabre, Lefabvres, Fabvres, Lefever and many more.
Early Notables of the Favor family (pre 1700)
Notable in the family name at this time was Antoine Favre (d. 1626), Professor at the University of Valence; Jean Le Fèvre (1652-1706), a French astronomer and physicist; Tanneguy Lefebvre (1615-1672), French classical scholar... Another 33 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Favor Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Favor family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Favor Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- D. P. Favor, aged 32, who landed in America, in 1893
- Ethel Favor, aged 22, who emigrated to America, in 1896
Favor Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ida L Favor, aged 18, who landed in America, in 1904
- Getty Favor, aged 43, who landed in America, in 1907
- Irving Perley Favor, aged 45, who landed in America, in 1907
- L. O. Favor, aged 45, who emigrated to the United States, in 1907
- Maud Favor, aged 21, who settled in America, in 1909
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)