on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the Irish Faughnan family come from? What is the Irish Faughnan family crest and coat of arms? When did the Faughnan family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Faughnan family history?The surname Faughnan comes from the Irish Gaelic name O Fachtnain.The name indicates the son of Fachtna, an ancient forename much in favor with the O'Kellys of Ui Maine, with whom it was modernized as Festus.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Faughnan, O'Faughnan, Faughey, O'Faghny and others.
First found in Counties Longford and Leitrim (Irish: Liatroim) anciently the western half of the kingdom of Breifne, located in Northeastern Ireland, in Leinster province.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Faughnan research. Another 71 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 158 and 1588 are included under the topic Early Faughnan History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 23 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Faughnan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Faughnan Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Miles Faughnan was naturalized in New York in 1847
- Francis and Ann Faughnan immigrated to New York in 1849
- Mary Faughnan arrived in New York in 1851
- Michael Faughnan landed in New York in 1851
- John Faughnan immigrated to New York from Leitrim in 1859
- Victor R Faughnan, American shark expert and author
- Kathryn Faughnan, American television actress
- George Faughnan, American actor
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Donovan, George Francis. The Pre-Revolutionary Irish in Massachusetts 1620-1775. Menasha, WI: Geroge Banta Publsihing Co., 1932. Print.
- Heraldic Scroll and Map of Family names and Origins of Ireland. Dublin: Mullins. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Johnson, Daniel F. Irish Emigration to New England Through the Port of Saint John, New Brunswick Canada 1841-1849. Baltimore, Maryland: Clearfield, 1996. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Sullivan, Sir Edward. The Book of Kells 3rd Edition. New York: Crescent Books, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-517-61987-3).
The Faughnan Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Faughnan Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 21 October 2013 at 15:53.
on orders of $85 or more