The history of the Fancher family goes back to the ancient Anglo-Saxon
culture of Britain. It is derived from the family living at Fanshawe Gate Hall in the county of Derbyshire.
Early Origins of the Fancher family
The surname Fancher was first found in Derbyshire
. The family held high distinction at Fanshawe Gate from early times. This was the site where Thomas Fanshawe (1533-1601), the Queen's Remembrancer and his descendants hailed. Very little is known of the earlier lineage apart from the fact that he was the eldest son of John Fanshawe of Fanshawe Gate and had an uncle name Henry Fanshawe. In addition to Fanshawe Gate, he held estates in Ware Park, Hertfordshire
and Jenkins, in Barking, Essex; presumably some were inherited through the family.
Early History of the Fancher family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Fancher research.Another 69 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1661, 1533, 1601, 1569, 1616, 1596, 1665, 1621, 1661, 1608, 1666, 1625 and 1680 are included under the topic Early Fancher History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Fancher Spelling Variations
Until quite recently, the English language has lacked a definite system of spelling rules. Consequently, Anglo-Saxon
surnames are characterized by a multitude of spelling variations
. Changes in Anglo-Saxon
names were influenced by the evolution of the English language, as it incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other languages. Although Medieval scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded, so it is common to find one person referred to by several different spellings of his surname, even the most literate people varied the spelling of their own names. Variations of the name Fancher include Fanshaw, Fanshawe and others.
Early Notables of the Fancher family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include Thomas Fanshawe (1533-1601), English Remembrancer of the Exchequer; Sir Henry Fanshawe (1569-1616), an English Remembrancer of the Exchequer; Thomas Fanshawe, 1st Viscount Fanshawe KB (1596-1665), an English politician who sat in the House of Commons between 1621 and 1661, supporter of the Royalist cause in... Another 52 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Fancher Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Fancher family to the New World and Oceana
Searching for a better life, many English families migrated to British colonies. Unfortunately, the majority of them traveled under extremely harsh conditions: overcrowding on the ships caused the majority of the immigrants to arrive diseased, famished, and destitute from the long journey across the ocean. For those families that arrived safely, modest prosperity was attainable, and many went on to make invaluable contributions to the development of the cultures of the new colonies. Research into the origins of individual families in North America revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Fancher or a variant listed above:
Fancher Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- M. Fancher, aged 33, who settled in America, in 1896
- Hercsia Fancher, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States, in 1897
Fancher Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Olivier Fancher, aged 62, who settled in America from Montreal, in 1906
- Virginie Fancher, aged 57, who emigrated to the United States from Montreal, in 1906
- Mrs. Fancher, aged 41, who landed in America, in 1907
- Bertram Fancher, aged 41, who emigrated to the United States, in 1907
- Bertha Fancher, aged 31, who settled in America from Stranrale Pk., Sussex, England, in 1909
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Fancher (post 1700)
- Frederick Bartlett Fancher (1852-1944), American politician, the seventh Governor of North Dakota
- Louis D. Fancher (1884-1944), American World War I poster artist and illustrator
- Jane S. Fancher (b. 1952), American science fiction and fantasy author and artist
- Hampton Fancher (b. 1938), American actor, producer and screenwriter in the late 1970s
Fancher Family Crest Products