Early Origins of the Falkingham family
The surname Falkingham was first found in Lincolnshire
at Folkingham (Falkingham), a village and civil parish at the northern edge of the South Kesteven district. "The origin of this town is attributed to the baronial residence of Gilbert de Gaunt, son of the Earl of Flanders
, and nephew of Matilda, queen of William the Conqueror; accompanying that monarch in his expedition against England
, he was rewarded for his services with 113 lordships in the county of Lincoln, of which he made this place the head." CITATION[CLOSE]
Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
Literally, the place name means "homestead of the family or followers of a man called Folca," from the Old English personal name
+ "-inga" + "ham." CITATION[CLOSE]
Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
The Domesday Book
of 1086 lists the place name as Folchingeham CITATION[CLOSE]
Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
and conjecturally, the surname is descended from the tenant
of the lands and village of Folkingham, held by Gilbert de Gaunt, (c.
1040-1095) who built a castle there.
Early History of the Falkingham family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Falkingham research.Another 231 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600, 1394, 1415, 1420, 1487, 1683, 1757, 1732 and 1755 are included under the topic Early Falkingham History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Falkingham Spelling Variations
Norman surnames are characterized by a multitude of spelling variations
. The frequent changes in surnames are largely due to the fact that the Old and Middle English languages lacked definite spelling rules. The introduction of Norman French to England, as well as the official court languages of Latin and French, also had pronounced influences on the spelling of surnames. Since medieval scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded, rather than adhering to any specific spelling rules, it was common to find the same individual referred to with different spellings. The name has been spelled Folkingham, Folkinham, Folkham, Volkingham, Volking, Falkingham, Falkinham, Folkington and many more.
Early Notables of the Falkingham family (pre 1700)
Another 20 words (1 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Falkingham Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Falkingham family to the New World and Oceana
Many English families emigrated to North American colonies in order to escape the political chaos in Britain at this time. Unfortunately, many English families made the trip to the New World under extremely harsh conditions. Overcrowding on the ships caused the majority of the immigrants to arrive diseased, famished, and destitute from the long journey across the stormy Atlantic. Despite these hardships, many of the families prospered and went on to make invaluable contributions to the development of the cultures of the United States and Canada. Early North American immigration records have revealed a number of people bearing the name Falkingham or a variant listed above:
Falkingham Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Fannie Falkingham, aged 14, who emigrated to the United States, in 1895
Falkingham Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Marie Falkingham, aged 6, who landed in America from Eccleshill, in 1907
- Muriel Falkingham, aged 2, who emigrated to the United States from Eccleshill, England, in 1907
- Theodore Corby Falkingham, aged 47, who settled in America, in 1907
- Percy Falkingham, aged 24, who landed in America from London, England, in 1912
- Jenny Falkingham, aged 37, who landed in America from London, England, in 1920
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Falkingham (post 1700)
- Mary Falkingham, American founder and owner of Mary Falkingham Floral Designs, Pasadena, California
- Joshua "Josh" Falkingham (b. 1990), English professional footballer
- Thomas Falkingham (1884-1957), English-born Australian politician, member of the New South Wales Legislative Council (1931-1934)
- Jonathan Mark Falkingham MBE (b. 1962), British architect and property developer
- Linda Falkingham, Canadian Secretary, Department of Creative Studies, Faculty of Creative and Critical Studies, UBC Okanagan
- John Falkingham, Canadian Sea Ice Consultant