on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: French, Irish, Scottish
Where did the Scottish Fair family come from? What is the Scottish Fair family crest and coat of arms? When did the Fair family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Fair family history?The Fair surname is derived from the Middle English word "fair," or "fayr," from the Old English "fæger;" meaning "handsome," "beautiful," or "fair." As such, the name is generally considered to have originally been a nickname, although it was in occasional use as a personal name for both men and women.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Fair, Faire, Faires, Fayer, Fayers, Fairs, Fare, Phair, Phaire, Phayre, Phares and many more.
First found in Cumberland, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Fair research. Another 228 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1234, 1333, and 1446 are included under the topic Early Fair History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Fair Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Fair Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Wm Fair, who landed in Virginia in 1704
- Joseph Fair landed in Pennsylvania in 1772
- William Fair landed in Pennsylvania in 1774
Fair Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Robert Fair, who arrived in Charleston, South Carolina in 1802
- Richard Fair, who landed in Charleston, South Carolina in 1807
- James Fair, who landed in New York, NY in 1811
- Ann Fair, who landed in New York, NY in 1811
- William Fair, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1812
Fair Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Francis Fair U.E. who settled in Charlotte County, New Brunswick c. 1784 he was part of the Cape Ann Association
Fair Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- John Fair, who arrived in Canada in 1820
- Alice Fair settled in Ontario in 1871
- Abraham Fair came to Manitoba in 1891
- Agatena Fair came to Manitoba in 1891
- Aganetea Fair came to Manitoba in 1891
Fair Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Fair, English convict from London, who was transported aboard the "Agamemnon" on April 22, 1820, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- Andrew Fair, aged 23, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1858 aboard the ship "Melbourne"
Fair Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Jane Fair arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Sydenham" in 1870
- Elinor Fair (1903-1957), American motion picture actress
- Brian Fair (b. 1975), American musician, best known as lead vocalist of the heavy metal band Shadows Fall
- Jad Fair (b. 1954), American singer, guitarist and graphic artist
- Lorraine Ming "Lorrie" Fair (b. 1978), American member of the World Cup Champion United States national soccer team
- Ron Fair, American record producer arranger, recording engineer and songwriter
- Brigadier-General Ford Larimore Fair (1898-1946), American Chief of Staff, European Air Transport Service (1946)
- James Graham Fair (1831-1894), Irish-born, American overnight millionaire part-owner of the Comstock Lode, a United States Senator and a colorful real estate and railroad speculator
- Ray Clarence Fair (b. 1942), American Professor of Economics at Yale University
- Ronald L Fair (b. 1932), American novelist, short story writer, and poet
- James Fair (b. 1981), English bronze medalist field hockey player
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Bloxham, Ben. Key to Parochial Registers of Scotland From Earliest Times Through 1854 2nd edition. Provo, UT: Stevenson's Genealogical Center, 1979. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Fair Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Fair Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 April 2015 at 15:58.
on orders of $85 or more