Estel History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The first people to use the distinguished Estel family name were found in the Barony of Estaile, in France.
Early Origins of the Estel family
The surname Estel was first found in Dumfriesshire where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Important Dates for the Estel family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Estel research. Another 71 words (5 lines of text) covering the year 1778 is included under the topic Early Estel History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Estel Spelling Variations
Huguenot surnames were only slightly Anglicized, and they remain to this day a distinct group of surnames in England. Nevertheless, Huguenot surnames have been subject to numerous spelling alterations since the names emerged in France. French surnames have a variety of spelling variations because the French language has changed drastically over the centuries. French was developed from the vernacular Latin of the Roman Empire. It is divided into three historic and linguistic periods: Old French, which developed before the 14th century; Middle French, which was used between the 14th and 16th centuries; and Modern French, which was used after the 16th century and continues to be in use today. In all of these periods, the French language was heavily influenced by other languages. For example, Old French was infused with Germanic words and sounds when the barbarian tribes invaded and settled in France after the fall of the Roman Empire. Middle French also borrowed heaviliy from the Italian language during the Renaissance. Huguenot names have numerous variations. The name may be spelled Esdale, Easdaile, Esdaile, Eskdale, Esdell, Esdel, Estdale and many more.
Early Notables of the Estel family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Estel Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Estel migration to the United States
Discovered in the immigration and passenger lists were a number of people bearing the name Estel:
Estel Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Nicolas Estel, aged 24, who landed in Louisiana in 1719 
Estel Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Barb Estel, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1803 
- Carth Estel, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1803 
- Fred Estel, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1803 
- Jacob Estel, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1803 
Contemporary Notables of the name Estel (post 1700)
- Christ J. Estel, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1924; Candidate for Pennsylvania State House of Representatives from Allegheny County 7th District, 1926 
- Estel Crabtree (1903-1967), American Major League Baseball player in the 1930s and 1940s
- Estel Skeen, American Democrat politician, Candidate for West Virginia State House of Delegates from Jackson County, 1954 
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 30) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 27) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html