Erman History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished surname Erman is of very ancient German origin. It is derived from a Germanic personal name made up of the elements "heri," meaning "army," and "man," meaning "man."
Early Origins of the Erman family
The surname Erman was first found in Prussia, where the name emerged in medieval times as one of the notable families of the region. From the 13th century the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation.
Important Dates for the Erman family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Erman research. Another 146 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1828, 1842, 1769, 1612, 1719, 1727, 1786, 1625, 1678, 1621, 1686, 1643, 1708, 1664, 1703, 1646, 1695, 1650 and 1734 are included under the topic Early Erman History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Erman Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Herman, Hermann, Herrman, Herrmann, Hörman, Hörmann, Hierman, Harmen, Harmand, Harman, Armand, Armant, Hermand, Arman, Erman, Ermann, Hearman, Hearmann, Harm, Harmsen, Harmson and many more.
Early Notables of the Erman family (pre 1700)
Prominent bearers of the family name Erman during this time period were Jobst Herman of Lippe-Biesterfeld (1625-1678), Count of Lippe, Sternberg and Schwalenberg; Augustine Herman, First Lord of Bohemia Manor (c.1621-1686), a Bohemian explorer, merchant, and cartographer; Johann Oswald Harms (1643-1708), a...
Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Erman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Erman migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Erman Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johan Peter Erman, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1752 
- Peter Erman, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1765 
Contemporary Notables of the name Erman (post 1700)
- John Erman (b. 1935), American Emmy Award winning, nine-time Emmy nominated television and film director, actor and producer
- Georg Adolf Erman (1806-1877), German physicist from Berlin, son of Paul Erman
- Paul Erman (1764-1851), German physicist from Berlin
- Johann Peter Adolf Erman (1854-1937), German renowned Egyptologist and lexicographer
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)