Erman History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished surname Erman is of very ancient German origin. It is derived from a Germanic personal name made up of the elements "heri," meaning "army," and "man," meaning "man."
Early Origins of the Erman family
The surname Erman was first found in Prussia, where the name emerged in medieval times as one of the notable families of the region.
One of the first records of the family was Hermann ( fl. 1070), a hagiographer, probably a native of Lorraine, was the Archdeacon of Herfast, Bishop of Thetford, and helped him in his attempt to assert the jurisdiction of his see over St. Edmund's Abbey. 
Hermann (d. 1078), first bishop of Salisbury, a native of Lorraine, was probably one of the clerks of the royal chapel under the Danish dynasty, and held that office when, in 1045, Edward the Confessor appointed him bishop of Ramsbury or Wilton, in succession to Brihtwold. 
Early History of the Erman family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Erman research. Another 146 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1828, 1842, 1769, 1612, 1719, 1727, 1786, 1625, 1678, 1621, 1686, 1643, 1708, 1664, 1703, 1646, 1695, 1650 and 1734 are included under the topic Early Erman History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Erman Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Herman, Hermann, Herrman, Herrmann, Hörman, Hörmann, Hierman, Harmen, Harmand, Harman, Armand, Armant, Hermand, Arman, Erman, Ermann, Hearman, Hearmann, Harm, Harmsen, Harmson and many more.
Early Notables of the Erman family (pre 1700)
Notable figures of the time with the name Erman were Jobst Herman of Lippe-Biesterfeld (1625-1678), Count of Lippe, Sternberg and Schwalenberg; Augustine Herman, First Lord of Bohemia Manor (c.1621-1686), a Bohemian explorer, merchant, and cartographer; Johann Oswald Harms (1643-1708), a German...
Another 40 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Erman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Erman migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Erman Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johan Peter Erman, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1752 
- Peter Erman, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1765 
Contemporary Notables of the name Erman (post 1700) +
- John Erman (1935-2021), American two-time Directors Guild of America Award winning and nine-time Emmy nominated television and film director, actor and producer from Chicago
- Georg Adolf Erman (1806-1877), German physicist from Berlin, son of Paul Erman
- Paul Erman (1764-1851), German physicist from Berlin
- Johann Peter Adolf Erman (1854-1937), German renowned Egyptologist and lexicographer
Related Stories +
- ^ Smith, George (ed), Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co., 1885-1900. Print
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)