Englebright History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Englebright family
The surname Englebright was first found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that shire.
Early History of the Englebright family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Englebright research. Another 146 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600, 1550, 1428, 1539, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Englebright History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Englebright Spelling Variations
The first dictionaries that appeared in the last few hundred years did much to standardize the English language. Before that time, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. The language was changing, incorporating pieces of other languages, and the spelling of names changed with it. Englebright has been spelled many different ways, including Inglebert, Englebert, Englbart, Inglebart, Inglbord, Inglebord, Englebard, Engleberd, Inglebard, Inglebird, Englebird, Inglebred, Englebred, Englebirt and many more.
Early Notables of the Englebright family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Englebright Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Englebright migration to the United States +
Thousands of English families in this era began to emigrate the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. Although the passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe, those who made the voyage safely were rewarded with opportunities unavailable to them in their homeland. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first Englebrights to arrive in North America:
Englebright Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Martin Englebright, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1762 
Contemporary Notables of the name Englebright (post 1700) +
- William Fellows Englebright (1855-1915), American Republican politician, U.S. Representative from California 1st District, 1906-11
- Steven Englebright, American Democrat politician, Member of New York State Assembly 4th District; Elected 2000, 2008
- Harry Lane Englebright (1884-1943), American Republican politician, Mining engineer; U.S. Representative from California 2nd District, 1926-43; Died in office 1943
- Grace Englebright, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from California 2nd District, 1943
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)