Emmel History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished German surname Emmel is of two possible origins. Firstly, it is derived from "Emmel," the name of a town located near the city of Trier in the Rhineland-Palatinate region on the Mosel River. In this case, the original bearer of the name would have been a native of this town. Alternatively, the name may be derived from the personal name Amale, which is itself derived from the Old High German "amassig," meaning "perseverance."
Early Origins of the Emmel family
The surname Emmel was first found in Swabia, the region south of Rhineland-Palatinate, where the town of Emmel is located. The earliest recorded bearer of the name was Cuonrad Immeli, who was living in Dentingen in 1306. The Emmel family was instrumental during this early period, playing a major role in the development of medieval German society.
Important Dates for the Emmel family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Emmel research. Another 146 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1306, 1336, 1383, 1398, 1455, 1623, 1682, and 1817 are included under the topic Early Emmel History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Emmel Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Emmel, Emmell, Immel, Amale, Emmele and others.
Early Notables of the Emmel family (pre 1700)
Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Emmel Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Emmel migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Emmel Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johanes Emmel, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1741 
- Johan Hartman Emmel, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1753 
Emmel Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Heinr Adam Emmel, who arrived in America in 1851 
- Jul Emmel, aged 51, who arrived in America in 1852 
- Julianna Maria Emmel, who landed in America in 1852 
- Phil David Emmel, who arrived in America in 1856 
- Nikolaus Emmel, who arrived in North America in 1857 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Emmel (post 1700)
- Victor E Emmel (1878-1928), American scientist and author
- Henry J. Emmel, American politician, Member of Minnesota State House of Representatives 54th District, 1909-10 
- Aaron Emmel, writer and editor
- Thomas C Emmel, professor of biology at the University of Florida
- Lieutenant-General Richard Emmel Nugent (1902-1979), American Acting Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel, Office of the Director of Personnel, Headquarters U.S. Air Force. (1950) 
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, December 10) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ Generals of World War II. (Retrieved 2014, March 26) Richard Nugent. Retrieved from http://generals.dk/general/Nugent/Richard_Emmel/USA.html