Elsen History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Elsen has two possible origins. In the Lower Rhineland and Westphalia, the name is tends to be derived from the many places in that region called Else, Els, or Elsen. However, the surname tends to be matronymic in Upper Germany and Switzerland, and is derived from the female personal name Else.
Early Origins of the Elsen family
The surname Elsen was first found in many areas around Germany. The earliest record belongs to Alsace, where Cunrad filius Else was documented in 1323, but within the same century the name appears in various other locations.
Early History of the Elsen family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Elsen research. Another 137 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1357, 1381, 1382, 1388, 1412, 1433, 1436, 1475, 1476, 1549, and 1576 are included under the topic Early Elsen History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Elsen Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Else, Elsen, Elser, Elsemann, Els, Elss, Elsler, Elsner, Tenelsen, Vanelsen, Elsensohn and many more.
Early Notables of the Elsen family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Elsen Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Elsen migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Elsen Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Clara Elsen, who immigrated to New York in 1847
- Constantinus Hendrik Elsen and Johanna Andrea Elsen, who landed in New York in 1852
- Constantinus Hendrik Elsen, aged 24, who arrived in New York, NY in 1852 
- Johanna Andrea Elsen, aged 32, who landed in New York, NY in 1852 
- Andreas Elsen, who arrived in New York in 1882
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Elsen (post 1700) +
- Eva-Maria ten Elsen, German Olympic swimmer, who won bronze in the 1956 games
- Ann Van Elsen (b. 1979), Belgian model, television and radio personality, Miss Belgium (2002)
- Kristien Elsen (b. 1988), Belgian football midfielder who played for various Belgium National Teams (2003-2014)
- Marc Elsen (b. 1960), Belgian politician, member of the Belgian Senate since 2007
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)