on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Ellsworth family come from? What is the English Ellsworth family crest and coat of arms? When did the Ellsworth family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Ellsworth family history?The name Ellsworth has a long Anglo-Saxon heritage. The name comes from when a family lived in Cambridgeshire, where they derived their name from the place-name Elsworth. The place-name is derived from the Old English personal name Eli and worth, an Old English word for farm. The place-name translated literally as Eli's farm.
Spelling variations in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago. In the Middle Ages, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other European languages. Many variations of the name Ellsworth have been found, including Ellesworth, Elsworth, Ellsworth, Elisworth, Ellisworth, Elsworthy and many more.
First found in Cambridge where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ellsworth research. Another 343 words (24 lines of text) covering the years 1273, 1280, 1400, 1600, and 1668 are included under the topic Early Ellsworth History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Ellsworth Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Families began migrating abroad in enormous numbers because of the political and religious discontent in England. Often faced with persecution and starvation in England, the possibilities of the New World attracted many English people. Although the ocean trips took many lives, those who did get to North America were instrumental in building the necessary groundwork for what would become for new powerful nations. Some of the first immigrants to cross the Atlantic and come to North America bore the name Ellsworth, or a variant listed above:
Ellsworth Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Josiah Ellsworth who settled in New England in 1620 and purchased land there
- Sir John Ellsworth, who landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1629
- Josiah Ellsworth, who arrived in Connecticut in 1645
- Jeremiah Ellsworth, who arrived in Rowley, Massachusetts in 1650
- Theophilus Ellsworth, who arrived in New Netherland(s) in 1652
Ellsworth Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- David Ellsworth landed in Massachusetts and moved to Boston in 1767
Ellsworth Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- E T Ellsworth, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- H B Ellsworth, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- By 1852 John Ellsworth had traveled across the states to settle in San Francisco
- Thomas Ellsworth, aged 26, arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1855
- S Ellsworth, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1855
Ellsworth Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Frances Ellsworth U.E., "Francis" who settled in Canada c. 1784
- Mr. William Ellsworth U.E. who settled in Canada c. 1784
- Stukely Ellsworth (1769-1837), American politician, Member of the New York Senate (1825-1828)
- Oliver Ellsworth (1745-1807), American lawyer and politician, 3rd Chief Justice of the Supreme Court (1796-1800)
- Edmund Lovell Ellsworth (1819-1893), American pioneer member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
- Elmer Ephraim Ellsworth (1837-1861), American law clerk and soldier, best known as the first casualty of the American Civil War
- Charles Clinton Ellsworth (1824-1899), American politician, U.S. Representative from Michigan (1877-1879)
- John Bradley "Brad" Ellsworth (b. 1958), American politician, U.S. Representative from Indiana's 8th District (2007-2011)
- Robert Ellsworth (1926-2011), U.S. Permanent Representative to the North Atlantic Council in Brussels from 1969 to 1971
- Brigadier General Richard Elmer Ellsworth (1911-1953), United States Air Force commander during the early part of the Cold War
- Lincoln Ellsworth (1880-1951), American explorer, his father spent $100,000US to fund Roald Amundsen's trip to the North Pole in 1925. In exchange, Lincoln was the pilot. He later discovered Ellsworth Mountains in Antarctica
- Jeri Ellsworth (b. 1974), American entrepreneur and self-taught computer chip designer
- Samuel Richardson, 1602-1658 and Josiah Ellsworth, 1629-1689, Some Descendants by Ruth Ellsworth Richardson.
- A Study of the Ancestry of Jonathan Ellsworth of Oneida County, New York by Maxine Phelps Lines.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
The Ellsworth Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ellsworth Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 August 2015 at 11:49.
on orders of $85 or more