Ellingson History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Ellingson reached English shores for the first time with the ancestors of the Ellingson family as they migrated following the Norman Conquest of 1066. The Ellingson family lived in Lincolnshire, at the Manor of Elkington, near Louth.
Early Origins of the Ellingson family
The surname Ellingson was first found in Lincolnshire at either North Elkington or South Elkington, parishes in the union of Louth, Wold division of the hundred of Louth-Eske. Both parishes were originally one and were recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Alchinton.  Hence the name is conjecturally descended from William de Percy who held his lands from Ivo Tailbois, a tenant in chief. At that time the village of Elkington (Alchinton) consisted of one church, one chapel, a mill and a mill site. Elkington is also a deserted medieval village and civil parish in the Daventry district of the county of Northamptonshire. Listed in 1377 as having 30 households, by 1412 there was none.
Early History of the Ellingson family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ellingson research. Another 79 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 160 and 1600 are included under the topic Early Ellingson History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ellingson Spelling Variations
Before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Sound was what guided spelling in the Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Ellingson family name include Elkinton, Alkington, Elchington and others.
Early Notables of the Ellingson family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Ellingson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Ellingson is the 6,084th most popular surname with an estimated 4,974 people with that name. 
Ellingson migration to the United States +
To escape the political and religious chaos of this era, thousands of English families began to migrate to the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. The passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe; however, those who made the voyage safely were encountered opportunities that were not available to them in their homeland. Many of the families that reached the New World at this time went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations of the United States and Canada. Research into various historical records has revealed some of first members of the Ellingson family to immigrate North America:
Ellingson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jarger Ellingson, aged 20, who landed in America, in 1892
- Elling Ellingson, aged 30, who immigrated to the United States from Liverpool, in 1897
Ellingson Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Tollak Ellingson, who landed in Arkansas in 1900 
- Bessie Ellingson, aged 18, who settled in America, in 1908
- Mabel Ellingson, aged 24, who immigrated to the United States, in 1914
- John Ellingson, aged 28, who settled in America, in 1917
- Carl A. Ellingson, aged 42, who landed in America, in 1919
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Ellingson (post 1700) +
- Robert L. "Bob" Ellingson (b. 1950), American lawyer and politician who served in the Minnesota House of Representatives and was a Democrat from 1977 to 1987
- Greg Ellingson (b. 1988), American CFL football wide receiver
- Lindsay Marie Ellingson (b. 1986), American fashion model who has modeled for Chanel, Dolce & Gabbana, Proenza Schouler, Valentino, Christian Dior and Victoria's Secret
- Mark Ellingson (1905-1993), American academic, 5th President of the Rochester Institute of Technology (1936-1969)
- Evan Taylor Ellingson (b. 1988), American actor, probably best known for his role as Kyle Harmon on CSI:Miami (2007-2012)
- Mary Ross Ellingson (1906-1993), born Helen Madeline Mary Ross, a Canadian classical archaeologist, best known for her work on the excavations at Olynthus in Greece
Related Stories +
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)