The original Gaelic form of the Irish name Durnint was O Duirnin or O Dornian, possibly derived from the word "dorn," which means "fist."
Early Origins of the Durnint family
The surname Durnint was first found in County Antrim
(Irish: Aontroim) located in the province of Ulster
in present day Northern Ireland
, where they had been anciently seated for many centuries and held territories in that county.
Early History of the Durnint family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Durnint research.Another 321 words (23 lines of text) covering the years 1596 and 1700 are included under the topic Early Durnint History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Durnint Spelling Variations
Names during the Middle Ages were often recorded under several different spelling variations
during the life of their bearers. Literacy was rare at that time and so how a person's name was recorded was decided by the individual scribe. Variations of the name Durnint include Durnan, Durnane, Durneen, Durnin, Durnain, Dornan, Dornain and many more.
Early Notables of the Durnint family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Durnint Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Durnint family to the New World and Oceana
In the late 18th century, Irish families
began emigrating to North America in the search of a plot of land to call their own. This pattern of emigration grew steadily until the 1840s when the Great Potato Famine
of the 1840s cause thousands of Irish to flee the death and disease that accompanied the disaster. Those that made it alive to the shores of the United States and British North America (later to become Canada) were, however, instrumental in the development of those two powerful nations. Many of these Irish immigrants proudly bore the name of Durnint: Nicholas Durnan who settled in Virginia in 1734; Charles Durnin settled in Newcastle in Co. Delaware in 1827; John Durnin arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1868.