100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Durkee was first found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in North Holland, a province of the Netherlands
. The principal cities are Amsterdam, Haarlem and Hilversum. It was the seat of the old Counts of Holland. Seat of one of the oldest families is Brederode Castle near Haarlem. There are many old and quaint towns in the province. including Medemblik, Enkhuizen, Hoorn, Edam, and Monnikendam. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dirk, Dirke, Dirkes, Dirks, Dirck, Durk, Durck, Durke, van Dirk, Dirike, Dierkes and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Durkee research. Another 260 words (19 lines of text) covering the year 1846 is included under the topic Early Durkee History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Durkee Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Durkee Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Lydia Durkee, who settled in Nova Scotia in 1762
Durkee Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Joseph Durkee, who arrived in Ontario in 1871
- Wallace L. Durkee, American Republican politician, Candidate for Connecticut State House of Representatives from Ashford, 1912, 1916
- Ruel Durkee, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from New Hampshire, 1880
- Robert A. Durkee (1915-1997), American politician, Member of Montana State House of Representatives, 1953-57; Member of Montana State Senate, 1957-65
- John Durkee, American politician, Member of New Hampshire State Senate 11th District, 1816-17, 1818-20
- Jacob H. Durkee, American politician, Representative from New York 32nd District, 1906
- J. Stanley Durkee, American politician, Dry Candidate for Delegate to New York convention to ratify 21st amendment, 1933
- Frederick B. Durkee, American Republican politician, Mayor of North Tonawanda, New York, 1956
- Elisha Durkee, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Cayuga County, 1810-11
- Charles Durkee (1805-1870), American politician, U.S. Representative from Wisconsin 1st District, 1849-53; U.S. Senator from Wisconsin, 1855-61; Governor of Utah Territory, 1865-69
- Mr. Charles Durkee (1875-1917), Canadian stationed with Canadian Infantry 219th Battalion from Beaver River, Nova Scotia, Canada who survived the Halifax Explosion on 6th December 1917 but later died due to injuries
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
- De Jong, Gerald Francis. The Dutch in America 1609-1974. New York: Twayne, 1975. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Bayerisch Stammenbuch von den alten abgestorbenen Fuerten. Print.
- Tapper, Michael Ed. Immigrants to the Middle Colonies A Consolidation of Ship Passenger Lists and Associated Data from The New York Genealogical Biographical Record. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Durkee Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Durkee Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 November 2015 at 11:49.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!