on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, French, Italian, Scottish, Spanish
Where did the Scottish Duran family come from? What is the Scottish Duran family crest and coat of arms? When did the Duran family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Duran family history?Though shrouded by the mists of time, the chronicles of Scotland reveal the early records of the Norman surname Duran which ranks as one of the oldest. The history of the name is interwoven within the colorful plaid of Scottish history and is an intrinsic part of the heritage of Scotland.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Durand, Durant, Durande, Durrane and others.
First found in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, and Salop, where they held a family seat from very early times and were granted lands by Duke William of Normandy, their liege Lord, for their distinguished assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Duran research. Another 221 words(16 lines of text) covering the years 1140, 1296, 1632 and 1692 are included under the topic Early Duran History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 67 words(5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Duran Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Diego Durán, who settled in America in 1510
- Rodrigo Durán, who arrived in Cartagena in 1534
- Diego Durán, who arrived in the Dominican Republic in 1535
- Juan Durán, who arrived in Mexico in 1563
- Juan Duran, who arrived in Peru in 1565
Duran Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Duran, who arrived in Virginia in 1654
Duran Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Charles Duran, who arrived in New Jersey in 1738-1739
- Charles Duran, who lived in New Jersey from 1738-1739
- Joseph Duran, who arrived in South Carolina in 1755
- Paul Duran, who arrived in South Carolina in 1755
- Gregorio Durán, who arrived in New Orleans, Louisiana in 1778 with his wife Ana
Duran Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Salvador Duran, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1802
- Jose Maria Duran, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1804
- Tiburcio Duran, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1809
- Diego Duran, who landed in America in 1810
- Garcia Duran, who arrived in America in 1812
- Dr. Manuel Durán, American university professor
- Fernando Díaz Durán, Guatemalan diplomat
- Rafael Durán, Spanish actor
- Alfonso Durán, Argentine poet
- Manuel Durán y Bas, Spanish politician
- Roberto Durán, Panamanian boxer, winner of the world lightweight title in 1972 and world welterweight title in 1980
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry Including American Families with British Ancestry 2 Volumes. London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Moody David. Scottish Family History. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0806312688).
- Fulton, Alexander. Scotland and Her Tartans: The Romantic Heritage of the Scottish Clans and Families. Godalming: Bramley, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-86283-880-0).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
The Duran Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Duran Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 July 2013 at 11:03.
on orders of $85 or more