Dunlea History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
It is generally thought that the surname Dunlea is derived from the Irish O Dubhalla sept of Muskerry, Cork. It has also been suggested that Dunlea comes from a branch of the famous MacDuinnsleibhe sept. However, since the MacDuinnsleibhe sept was located in Ulster and bearers of the name Dunlea were for the most part located in the south western counties of Munster, this connection seems rather unlikely.
Early Origins of the Dunlea family
The surname Dunlea was first found in the south western counties of Munster, where the name dates back to sixteenth century Fiants in County Cork. These records include mention of Donell and Owen MacDermodie O'Donlegh, who along with many other men of Cork, were pardoned in 1586.
Important Dates for the Dunlea family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dunlea research. Another 68 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1659, 1664, 1666, 1704 and 1725 are included under the topic Early Dunlea History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dunlea Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dunlea, O'Dunlea, Dullea, Delea, Dynlea, O'Dullea, Donlea, O'Donlegh, Douly and many more.
Early Notables of the Dunlea family (pre 1700)
Another 33 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dunlea Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dunlea migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dunlea Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Edward Dunlea, who arrived in Boston as a bonded passenger in 1849
Contemporary Notables of the name Dunlea (post 1700)
- Mark A. Dunlea, American politician, Representative from New York 23rd District, 1982 
- Martin Dunlea, Dublin-based guitarist
- Maurice Dunlea Hinchey (1938-2017), American politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from New York (1993-2013)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 28) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html