100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English
The surname Dubois is a ancient French name from Britanny. It was a name given to a person who was a boissel, a person who measured corn in the market or someone who made bushel baskets for corn. It is important to realize that wheat was called corn in the medieval period; a boissel would have been working with grain, not maize.
The surname Dubois was first found in Auvergne and Bas- Limousin
where they are recorded as an ancient family with lands and estates.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dubois, du Bois, Duboie, Duboi, Duboy, Duboys, Duboit, Dubbois, Dubboie, Dubboi, Dubboy, Dubboys, Dubboit and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dubois research. Another 453 words (32 lines of text) covering the years 1290, 1346, 1447, 1529, 1584, 1604, 1694, 1638, 1694, 1656 and 1723 are included under the topic Early Dubois History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 107 words (8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dubois Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dubois Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Abraham DuBois, who arrived in New York in 1660
- Isaac DuBois, who landed in New York in 1660
- Lewis Dubois, who landed in New York in 1660
- Louis DuBois, who arrived in New York in 1660
- Family DuBois, who landed in New York in 1660
Dubois Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Abraham DuBois, aged 38, settled with wife and family in England and/or America in 1709
- Cualtherus DuBois, who landed in New York, NY in 1715
- Gualtherus DuBois, who arrived in New York in 1715
- Jacques DuBois, who arrived in Louisiana in 1718-1724
- Louis Pierre Dubois, who landed in Louisiana in 1718-1724
Dubois Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Vincent Dubois, who arrived in Louisiana in 1805-1809
- Joseph Dubois, who landed in New York in 1819
- H. Dubois, aged 40, who settled in Baltimore in 1820
- Pedro Dubois, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1822
- Ernest Alexis Dubois, who landed in New York in 1828
Dubois Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- Madeleine Dubois, born in 1640 is the daughter of Isaac and of Anne Richer of St-Sauveur, diocese of La Rochelle
- Pierre Dubois, who landed in Canada in 1644
- Jean Dubois, who arrived in Canada in 1648
- Dorothée Dubois married in Champlain, Quebec in 1661
- Anne Dubois married in Quebec in 1694
Dubois Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Jean Dubois, laborer, residing at La Rochelle, Quebec was married to Anne Normand and had 5 daughters and 1 son
- Brendan DuBois, American mystery fiction and suspense writer, two-time Shamus Award for Best Short Story of the Year winner
- James Taylor DuBois (1851-1920), American politician, U.S. Consul in Aix-la-Chapelle, 1881; Leipzig, 1884-85; U.S. Consul General in SAINT Gall, 1897-1901; Singapore, 1909-11; U.S. Minister to Colombia, 1911-13
- Jesse K. Dubois, American Republican politician, Member of Illinois State House of Representatives, 1835-41, 1843-45; Illinois State Auditor of public accounts, 1857-64; Delegate to Republican National Convention from Illinois, 1868
- John DuBois, American politician, Mayor of Bellaire, Ohio, 1898-1900
- John E. DuBois, American politician, Representative from New York 36th District, 1936
- Jonathan Dubois, American politician, Member of New Jersey State House of Assembly from Salem County, 1804-14
- Koert Dubois, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Dutchess County, 1809-11
- Lee DuBois, American Democrat politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly from Broome County 2nd District, 1918
- Lewis Dubois, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Montgomery County, 1795-96
- Lincoln Dubois, American politician, Member of Illinois State House of Representatives 1st District, 1875-77
- DuBose (also Du Bois) Genealogy by Dorothy Kelly MacDowell.
- Guérard, Albert Léon. France: a Modern History. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1959. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- de la Porte, A. Tresor Heraldique. Paris: F. Casterman, 1864. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- De Ville, Winston. Gulf Coast Colonials, A Compendium of French Families in Early Eighteenth Century Louisiana. Baltimore, MD: Clearfield, 1999. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Vaillancourt, Emile. La Conquete du Canada par les Normands. Biographie de la premiere generation Normande du Canada. Montreal: G. Ducharme, 1930. Print.
The Dubois Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Dubois Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 21 April 2016 at 17:06.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!