100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, French
Where did the French Dubois family come from? What is the French Dubois family crest and coat of arms? When did the Dubois family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Dubois family history?The surname Dubois is a ancient French name from Britanny. It was a name given to a person who was a boissel, a person who measured corn in the market or someone who made bushel baskets for corn. It is important to realize that wheat was called corn in the medieval period; a boissel would have been working with grain, not maize.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dubois, du Bois, Duboie, Duboi, Duboy, Duboys, Duboit, Dubbois, Dubboie, Dubboi, Dubboy, Dubboys, Dubboit and many more.
First found in Auvergne and Bas- Limousin where they are recorded as an ancient family with lands and estates.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dubois research. Another 453 words(32 lines of text) covering the years 1290, 1346, 1447, 1529, 1584, 1604, 1694, 1638, 1694, 1656 and 1723 are included under the topic Early Dubois History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 107 words(8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dubois Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dubois Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Abraham DuBois, who arrived in New York in 1660
- Isaac DuBois, who landed in New York in 1660
- Lewis Dubois, who landed in New York in 1660
- Louis DuBois, who arrived in New York in 1660
- Family DuBois, who landed in New York in 1660
Dubois Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Abraham DuBois, aged 38, settled with wife and family in England and/or America in 1709
- Cualtherus DuBois, who landed in New York, NY in 1715
- Gualtherus DuBois, who arrived in New York in 1715
- Jacques DuBois, who arrived in Louisiana in 1718-1724
- Louis Pierre Dubois, who landed in Louisiana in 1718-1724
Dubois Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Vincent Dubois, who arrived in Louisiana in 1805-1809
- Joseph Dubois, who landed in New York in 1819
- H. Dubois, aged 40, who settled in Baltimore in 1820
- Pedro Dubois, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1822
- Ernest Alexis Dubois, who landed in New York in 1828
- Jean Dubois, laborer, residing at La Rochelle, Quebec was married to Anne Normand and had 5 daughters and 1 son
Dubois Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- Madeleine Dubois, born in 1640 is the daughter of Isaac and of Anne Richer of St-Sauveur, diocese of La Rochelle
- Pierre Dubois, who landed in Canada in 1644
- Jean Dubois, who arrived in Canada in 1648
- Dorothée Dubois married in Champlain, Quebec in 1661
- Anne Dubois married in Quebec in 1694
- Michel Y Dubois M.D., Director of Research and Education, and Professor of Clinical Anesthesiology at the NYU School of Medicine
- James Taylor DuBois (1851-1920), American diplomat and journalist, US Ambassador to Colombia (1911-1913)
- Fred Thomas Dubois (1851-1930), American Republican politician, Senator from Idaho (1891-1897 and 1901-1907)
- Mary Constance DuBois (1879-1959), American author
- William Edward Burghardt Dubois (1868-1963), African American writer
- Brendan DuBois, American mystery fiction and suspense writer, two-time Shamus Award for Best Short Story of the Year winner
- Paul Dubois (1829-1905), French sculptor
- Didier Dubois (b. 1952), French mathematician
- Didier Dubois (b. 1957), French sprinter at the 1980 and 1984 Summer Olympics
- Albert Félix Dubois (1862-1945), French journalist and explorer, best known for his books about his travels in French West Africa
- DuBose (also Du Bois) Genealogy by Dorothy Kelly MacDowell.
- Doyle, William. The Oxford History of the French Revolution. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0192852213).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- De Ville, Winston. Gulf Coast Colonials, A Compendium of French Families in Early Eighteenth Century Louisiana. Baltimore, MD: Clearfield, 1999. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- D'Hozier Charles. Armorial Général de France. Paris: Dillon, 1875. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Vaillancourt, Emile. La Conquete du Canada par les Normands. Biographie de la premiere generation Normande du Canada. Montreal: G. Ducharme, 1930. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Guérard, Albert Léon. France: a Modern History. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1959. Print.
The Dubois Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Dubois Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 April 2015 at 06:40.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!