The Du chasteaux surname is derived from the same roots as the French word "château", which means "castle".
Early Origins of the Du chasteaux family
The surname Du chasteaux was first found in Artois, a former province of northern France where this illustrious family held a family seat
with lands and manor for many centuries.
Chastel, Haute-Loire, is in the Haute-Loire department; Chastel, Haute-Loire, is in the Haute-Loire department; Chastel-Arnaud, is in the Drôme department; Chastel-Nouvel, is in the Lozère department; and Chastel-sur-Murat, is in the Cantal department.
Guigo I also known as Guigues du Chastel, Guigo de Castro and Guigo of Saint-Romain, (1083-1136), was a Carthusian monk and the 5th prior of Grande Chartreuse monastery in the 12th century.
Tanneguy III du Chastel (or Tanguy du Châtel) (1369-1449) was a French military leader of the Hundred Years' War. he was so well regarded the King Louis XI had him buried at the Basilique Notre-Dame de Cléry-Saint-André (Loiret), where Louis XI himself was later buried in 1483.
Early History of the Du chasteaux family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Du chasteaux research.Another 165 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1274, 1618, 1712, 1644, 1681, 1616, 1694, 1635 and 1683 are included under the topic Early Du chasteaux History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Du chasteaux Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Castel, Castet, Castets, Castex, Castelli, Ducastel, Delcastel and many more.
Early Notables of the Du chasteaux family (pre 1700)
Another 25 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Du chasteaux Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Du chasteaux family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Pierre Castel, who arrived in Louisiana in 1720; another Pierre Castel, on record in New Orleans in 1837; Augustin Castel, who arrived in New Orleans in 1837.