Origins Available: Irish-Alt
The surname Dromgoole has its origins in the ancient place name Dromgabhail, which was most likely in County Louth
. The surname in turn spawned the name of the town Dromgoolestown, County Louth.
Early Origins of the Dromgoole family
The surname Dromgoole was first found in County Louth
(Irish: Lú) the smallest county in Ireland
, located on the East coast, in the Province of Leinster
, where a Robert de Dromgol is mentioned in a law case in 1299, and Robert de Dromgol was a coroner in 1311. The surname can be found in records such as the Hearth Money Rolls and Dowdall Deeds for County Louth
from that time on.
Early History of the Dromgoole family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dromgoole research.Another 40 words (3 lines of text) covering the years 1690, 1635, 1695, 1720, 1781, 1750 and 1826 are included under the topic Early Dromgoole History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dromgoole Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Drumgoole, Drumgould, Drumgold, Drumgol, Dromgool and many more.
Early Notables of the Dromgoole family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family name at this time was Dr. Edward Dromgould (c.1635-c.1695), who was vicar-apostolic of Armagh and a friend of St. Oliver Plunkett; Col. John Dromgoole (1720-1781)... Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dromgoole Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Dromgoole family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dromgoole Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Christian Dromgoole, who arrived in Boston as a bonded passenger in 1847
- W. A. Dromgoole, who landed in San Francisco in 1850
- W A Dromgoole, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- Henry Dromgoole, who took the Oath of Allegiance in Philadelphia in 1858
Dromgoole Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- P. Dromgoole, who settled in the Ottawa Valley in Ontario in 1829
Contemporary Notables of the name Dromgoole (post 1700)
- Will Allen Dromgoole (1860-1934), American author and poet from Murfreesboro, Tennessee who wrote over 7,500 poems
- George Coke Dromgoole (1797-1847), American politician and lawyer from Virginia
- Thomas Dromgoole M.D. (1750-1826), outspoken Irish physician who ended up in a self-imposed exile in Rome
- Dominic Dromgoole (b. 1964), English theatre director and writer
- Jessica Dromgoole, British director, former Artistic Director of the Finborough Theatre
- Glenn Dromgoole, Texas-based author
- Nicholas Dromgoole, literary scholar and author