on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Dowman family come from? What is the English Dowman family crest and coat of arms? When did the Dowman family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Dowman family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dowman, Doman, Doughman, Doeman, Dooman, Douman and others.
First found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dowman research. Another 323 words(23 lines of text) covering the years 1394, 1455, 1487, 1510, and 1600 are included under the topic Early Dowman History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Dowman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dowman Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Dowman, who arrived in Jamestown, Va in 1607
- Thomas Dowman, who landed in New England in 1670
Dowman Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Joseph Dowman, aged 38, a labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Cartvale" in 1874
- Sophia Dowman, aged 33, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Cartvale" in 1874
- Alice Dowman, aged 9, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Cartvale" in 1874
- Emily Dowman, aged 2, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Cartvale" in 1874
- Mathew Dowman (b. 1974), English cricketer. born in Grantham
- Keith Dowman, Buddhist translator and teacher based in Kathmandu
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Dowman Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Dowman Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 October 2010 at 09:25.
on orders of $85 or more