100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Dowell family come from? What is the Scottish Dowell family crest and coat of arms? When did the Dowell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Dowell family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Doull, Doul, Dowill, Dowl, Dowell, Duill, Doule and many more.
First found in Inverness, where they held a family seat in this wild and romantic highland territory. Their territories were first located in Badenoch and they became associated as a sept of Donald Clan. Allegiances were important in this terrain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dowell research. Another 220 words(16 lines of text) covering the year 1606 is included under the topic Early Dowell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Dowell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dowell Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Wm Dowell, who landed in Virginia in 1714
- John Dowell, who arrived in North Carolina in 1753
- William Dowell, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1787
Dowell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Samuel Dowell, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1812
- Alexander Dowell, who landed in New York, NY in 1815
- R Dowell, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Richard Dowell, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1872
Dowell Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Dowell, a slater, arrived in Van Diemen’s Land (now Tasmania) sometime between 1825 and 1832
Dowell Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- George W. Dowell arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Owen Glendowner" in 1864
- Cassius Clay Dowell (1864-1940), American Republican Representative from Iowa
- Jacob Dowell (b. 1985), American NHL professional ice hockey center
- Joe Dowell (b. 1940), American pop singer, best known for his rendition of "Wooden Heart"
- Horace Kirby "Saxie" Dowell (1904-1974), American jazz and pop music bandleader
- Alastair McQueen Dowell (1920-2010), Scottish cricketer
- Leonard Dowell (b. 1902), Scottish professional association football player
- George Dare Dowell (1831-1910), English soldier, who received the Victoria Cross for heroic deeds in 1855
- Sir Anthony James Dowell CBE (b. 1943), English ballet dancer and Artistic Director of Britain's Royal Ballet from 1986 to 2001
- Admiral Sir William Montagu Dowell GCB (1825-1912), Royal Navy officer, Commander-in- chief, Plymouth
- Mr. George Harris Dowell (1861-1917), Canadian resident from Elmsdale Hants County, Nova Scotia, Canada who died in the Halifax Explosion on 6th December 1917
- Skene, William Forbes Edition. Chronicles of the Picts, Chronicles of the Scots and Other Early Memorials of Scottish History. Edinburgh: H.M. General Register House, 1867. Print.
- Prebble, John. The Highland Clearances. London: Secker & Warburg, 1963. Print.
- Warner, Philip Warner. Famous Scottish Battles. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1996. Print. (ISBN 0-76070-004-4).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Scots Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Mordern Application of the Art and Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Fairbairn,. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Scots Kith and Kin And Illustrated Map Revised 2nd Edition. Edinburgh: Clan House/Albyn. Print.
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
The Dowell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Dowell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 March 2015 at 07:43.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!