on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the Scottish Dowell family come from? What is the Scottish Dowell family crest and coat of arms? When did the Dowell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Dowell family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Doull, Doul, Dowill, Dowl, Dowell, Duill, Doule and many more.
First found in Inverness, where they held a family seat in this wild and romantic highland territory. Their territories were first located in Badenoch and they became associated as a sept of Donald Clan. Allegiances were important in this terrain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dowell research. Another 220 words (16 lines of text) covering the year 1606 is included under the topic Early Dowell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Dowell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dowell Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Wm Dowell, who landed in Virginia in 1714
- John Dowell, who arrived in North Carolina in 1753
- William Dowell, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1787
Dowell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Samuel Dowell, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1812
- Alexander Dowell, who landed in New York, NY in 1815
- R Dowell, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Richard Dowell, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1872
Dowell Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Dowell, a slater, arrived in Van Diemen’s Land (now Tasmania) sometime between 1825 and 1832
Dowell Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- George W. Dowell arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Owen Glendowner" in 1864
- Joe Dowell (1940-2016), American pop singer, best known for his rendition of the song Wooden Heart
- Horace Kirby "Saxie" Dowell (1904-1974), American jazz and pop music bandleader
- Jacob Dowell (b. 1985), American NHL professional ice hockey center
- Cassius Clay Dowell (1864-1940), American Republican Representative from Iowa
- Leonard Dowell (b. 1902), Scottish professional association football player
- Alastair McQueen Dowell (1920-2010), Scottish cricketer
- Mr. George Harris Dowell (1861-1917), Canadian resident from Elmsdale Hants County, Nova Scotia, Canada who died in the Halifax Explosion on 6th December 1917
- Admiral Sir William Montagu Dowell GCB (1825-1912), Royal Navy officer, Commander-in-Chief, Plymouth
- Sir Anthony James Dowell CBE (b. 1943), English ballet dancer and Artistic Director of Britain's Royal Ballet from 1986 to 2001
- George Dare Dowell (1831-1910), English soldier, who received the Victoria Cross for heroic deeds in 1855
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and David Hicks. The Highland Clans The Dynastic Origins, Cheifs and Background of the Clans. New York: C.N. Potter, 1968. Print.
- Prebble, John. The Highland Clearances. London: Secker & Warburg, 1963. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Scots Kith and Kin And Illustrated Map Revised 2nd Edition. Edinburgh: Clan House/Albyn. Print.
- Browne, James. The History of Scotland it's Highlands, Regiments and Clans 8 Volumes. Edinburgh: Francis A Niccolls & Co, 1909. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Martine, Roddy, Roderick Martine and Don Pottinger. Scottish Clan and Family Names Their Arms, Origins and Tartans. Edinburgh: Mainstream, 1992. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Catholic Directory For Scotland. Glasgow: Burns Publications. Print.
The Dowell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Dowell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 5 February 2016 at 12:33.
on orders of $85 or more