Dottin History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Dottin family
The surname Dottin was first found in Devon
at Dotton, which was listed as Otrit in the Domesday Book
of 1086. At that time, there was land enough for 2 ploughs and comprised about 2 acres of meadow and 10 acres of pasture. It was held by Baldwin the Sheriff. The village or parish has since been lost but the family name was first referenced in the year 1240 when William de Dotton held estates there. Dotton is also listed in Somerset
about the same time as a mill on the River Otter and this mill continued in operation from about 1100 through 1960 when it was demolished. Dotton, Somerset
is now little more than a farm about 4.5 miles (7.2 km) from the mouth of the Otter.
Early History of the Dottin family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dottin research.Another 221 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1286, 1455, 1487, 1539, 1599, 1655, 1620, 1626, 1643, 1627 and 1633 are included under the topic Early Dottin History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dottin Spelling Variations
Early Notables of the Dottin family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include William Dotton who was listed as a canon on 21 July 1539. Edward Doty (c.
1599-1655) was a passenger on the historic 1620 voyage of the Mayflower as a servant... Another 35 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dottin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Dottin family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dottin Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Wm. Dottin, who was on record in Barbados in 1679
Dottin Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Gertrude Dottin, aged 20, who emigrated to the United States from Barbados, in 1908
- Lilley Alison Dottin, aged 20, who settled in America from St. George, Barbados, in 1908
- Cecil Dottin, aged 14, who emigrated to the United States from Barbadoes, in 1912
- Joseph Dottin, aged 28, who landed in America from Bridgetown, Barbados, in 1913
- Constance Dottin, aged 25, who landed in America from Barbados, British West Indies, in 1916
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Dottin (post 1700)
- Deandra Jalisa Shakira Dottin, international cricketer from the Barbados
Dottin Family Crest Products