Dikes History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancient Scottish name Dikes was first used by the Strathclyde-Briton people of the Scottish/English Borderlands. The original bearer of the name lived in Dutton, Lancashire.
Early Origins of the Dikes family
The surname Dikes was first found in Cumberland, where one reference claims "the name, originally 'Del Dykes,' is derived from the two lines of Roman wall in 'Burgh,' from whence the family at a remote period originated."  Ramerus de Dikes, who lived before the reign of Henry II is the supposed ancestor of the family. The family held estates at Dovenby, in the parish of Bridekirk.
Important Dates for the Dikes family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dikes research. Another 249 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1207, 1272, 1301, 1379, 1421, 1471, 1457, 1509, 1600, 1649, 1630, 1685, 1765, 1619, 1669, 1660, 1666, 1650, 1706, 1685, 1689, 1700 and 1756 are included under the topic Early Dikes History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dikes Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dyke, Dykes, Dike, Dikes and others.
Early Notables of the Dikes family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family at this time was Sir Thomas Dyke (1619-1669), an English politician who sat in the House of Commons from 1660 to 1666; Sir...
Another 27 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dikes Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dikes migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dikes Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Henry Dikes, aged 33, who arrived in Virginia in 1635 
Dikes Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Margaret Dikes, who landed in Virginia in 1710 
- Robert Dikes, who arrived in Virginia in 1714 
Dikes Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joshua Dikes, who landed in Texas in 1835 
- Josiah Dikes, who arrived in Texas in 1835 
- Josiha Dikes, who landed in Texas in 1835 
- Levi B Dikes, who arrived in Texas in 1835 
- Levy B Dikes, who landed in Texas in 1835 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
- ^ Shirley, Evelyn Philip, The Noble and Gentle Men of England; The Arms and Descents. Westminster: John Bower Nichols and Sons, 1866, Print.
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)