Dike History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancient Scottish name Dike was first used by the Strathclyde-Briton people of the Scottish/English Borderlands. The original bearer of the name lived in Dutton, Lancashire.
Early Origins of the Dike family
The surname Dike was first found in Cumberland, where one reference claims "the name, originally 'Del Dykes,' is derived from the two lines of Roman wall in 'Burgh,' from whence the family at a remote period originated."  Ramerus de Dikes, who lived before the reign of Henry II is the supposed ancestor of the family. The family held estates at Dovenby, in the parish of Bridekirk.
Important Dates for the Dike family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dike research. Another 249 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1207, 1272, 1301, 1379, 1421, 1471, 1457, 1509, 1600, 1649, 1630, 1685, 1765, 1619, 1669, 1660, 1666, 1650, 1706, 1685, 1689, 1700 and 1756 are included under the topic Early Dike History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dike Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dyke, Dykes, Dike, Dikes and others.
Early Notables of the Dike family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family at this time was Sir Thomas Dyke (1619-1669), an English politician who sat in the House of Commons from 1660 to 1666; Sir...
Another 27 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dike Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dike migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dike Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Anthony Dike, who landed in America in 1623 
- James Dike, who arrived in Maryland in 1651 
- John Dike, who landed in Virginia in 1663-1664 
- John Dike, who arrived in Maryland in 1670 
- Mathew Dike, who arrived in Maryland in 1671 
Dike Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Dike, who landed in Virginia in 1724 
Contemporary Notables of the name Dike (post 1700)
- Norman S. Dike, American Republican politician, Justice of New York Supreme Court 2nd District, 1921-27 
- Josiah W. Dike, American politician, First Selectman of Thompson, Connecticut, 1888 
- John Dike, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Massachusetts, 1920 
- Ezra C. Dike (b. 1838), American Republican politician, Member of Vermont State House of Representatives from Bristol, 1910 
- Dan L. P. Dike, American politician, Mayor of El Paso, Texas, 1949-51 
- ^ Shirley, Evelyn Philip, The Noble and Gentle Men of England; The Arms and Descents. Westminster: John Bower Nichols and Sons, 1866, Print.
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 15) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html